(R) Biographies


Rawls, Clarence R.

Rhoads, Robert

Rich, Harold "Gus"

Rinestine, Richard L.

Rogero, B.E. "Gene"

Roberts, Franklin D.

Rohr, Robert C.

Roinestad, Norman

Roscoe, Harvey H.

Rosfeld, John F.

Rosler, Henry J.
Ruch, George 'Red'

Rushe, George E. 'Bud'

Russ, Cecil Martin


 Roscoe, Harvey H.

Of Acton, formerly Brockton, Jan. 12, 2008. Beloved husband of 55 yrs.  of Loretta (Malinsky). Father of Gregory Roscoe of Falmouth, ME, Donna Nickerson of Framingham, Andrew Roscoe of Dunkirk, MD, Patricia Slattery of Stow, MA & Joan Abbott of Higganum, CT. Proud grandfather of 9 grandchildren. Brother of Norman, David & Robert Roscoe & Harriet Foster. A celebration of Harvey's life will be held Wed., Jan. 16th at 10am at the VA Chapel, (Bld 81) 200 Springs Rd, Bedford, with a reception to follow at the family home, 6 Cherry Ridge Rd, Acton. Those who wish may make memorial contributions to the Harvey H. Roscoe Memorial Fund, c/o Middlesex Savings Bank, 577 Mass Ave, Acton, MA 01720, established to benefit hospice & paliative care at the GRECC Unit at the VA Hospital, Bedford. US Navy aviator WW II; Distinguished Flying Cross recipient; MIT grad; ret. Raytheon. 

Published in the Boston Globe from 1/14/2008 - 1/15/2008.

Back to Top of Page


Russ, Cecil Martin

Just letting you know that my husband, Cecil Martin Russ, passed away May 25, 2008 at home in DeBary, Florida. Am giving you a rundown on his Navy service: Enlisted in the U.S. Navy as Apprentice Seaman May 23, 1939, at the Naval  Air Station, Opa Locka, Fl. Transferred to the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Fl, Sept. 15, 1940.  During this term of service rose in rating to Aviation Machinist Mate, first class. Entered U.S. Navy flight schools Oct. 6, 1942. Schools included the University of Georgia, Naval Pilot Training at New Orleans, and Naval Pilot Training at Pensacola. Graduated from pilot training July 14, 1943, appointed rank of Ensign.  Transferred to U.S. Naval Air Station, Jacksonville, Fl, for operational  flight training. Assigned to the European War Theater 1944 to serve as second pilot in heavy, four-engine Bombers based at French Morocco, North Africa. *Bombing Squadron 111* reassigned from the European Theater to the Pacific  War Theater. Served from December 1944 to July 1945. Participated in the  war zones in the Pacific at Saipan, Tinian, Moratai, Ewo Jima, Philippines, Okinawa, Borneo. Appointed rank of Lieutenant (j.g.) USN. Returned to the U.S. to the Jacksonville Naval Air Station as flight  instructor in twin-engine Beechcraft, July 1945.  Presented U.S. Navy medals: Distinguished Flying Cross, three Air Medals  and U.S. Navy Unit Commendation on December 1945 by Commander Weymouth. Discharged May 12, 1946 as flight instructor at Jacksonville and entered  the Naval Reserve Service. After 3 years in college resigned the Naval  Reserve. Total years service from enlistment in the U.S. Navy in 1939 to the  resignation in 1949 were 10 years: 7 years active duty and 3 years  reserve duty.> Martin was very proud of his service in the Navy and he was buried in his  uniform. Yes, he could still get in his uniform! Please remove his name from your mailing list. My heart is heavy, but I > know it is for the best. We are looking for the Lord to come back when we  will be reunited.

Very sincerely

 Corinne W. Russ

Back to Top of Page

 Roinestad, Norman

Norm, Lakehurst, NJ 1948 (age 17)

Pat & Norm, 2001

Norm & Great Grandson, Dakota (Cody)

I enlisted March of 1948, 10 days after my 17th birthday, (either that or reform school). It was to be a 3 year hitch, but Pres. Truman extended me for a year for Korea. So I shipped for six.
My first duty station was NAS Lakehurst NJ, HU-2, after 2 years at the country club I went aboard the USS Saipan CVL-48, for 11 months 26 day and 4 hours. In June of 1951 I reported aboard VP-34, Trinidad, BWI. While I was in VP-34, I earned my Combat Air Crew wings. Then in June of 1953, I transferred to VP-21 where I spent four wonderful years. From there to VP-10 for one year. From there to NAF Naples Italy for two years. July of 63 found me at my one and only shore duty station, NAS Glenview IL. after Glenview, off to AO 'B' school for six months in Jacksonville, FL. From there to the "Oldest and the Boldest" the USS Essex CV-9 for three and 1/2 years.

My Last tour of duty was back to VP-21, where I retired with 19 and 6, with good conduct, at 36 1/2 years old.
I had a great time serving my country receiving six letters of commendation, and seven meritorious awards. But my greatest honor was receiving my CAC Wings.

Resectfully Submiited,

Norman J. Roinestad AO1, CAC USN Ret.

"WINDSOR - Norman Roinestad, 83, of Windsor - This beautiful soul reunited with the love of his life on October 18, 2014. He was born March 17, 1931, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to John Norman and Viota Roinestad. Norman enjoyed 20 years of military service after joining the Navy in 1948. He received many certificates of good conduct and was an expert marksman. Some highlights of his service include time spent in Trinidad and time aboard the USS Essex and was a member of the VP-21. Norm worked at Sears in Augusta, Togus VA and Charlie's Motor Mall. He also belonged to the Bethlehem Masonic Lodge in Augusta and loved helping with the Shrine Circus. Norman was very proud to be a senior ambassador of the Kora Shrine Temple of Lewiston. He was a member of the VFW Post 887 and several other clubs.

He is predeceased by his wife, Patricia; infant son, John Norman II; brother Verle; and brother-in-law Paul Schoch...."


Email from Linda Roinestad, daughter of Norman Roinstad.  "Dear Friends of Norman John Roinestad, It is with heavy heart  that I send this email.  My Dad passed away on Saturday, Octotber 18th. He was the best Daddy a girl could ever have!  After almost six years my Mom and Dad are finily togother again!  He made us all promise not to cry, well I haven't been able to keep that promise.  Dad always said "If I die today it's with no regrets, I've had a great life, loving family, wonderful friends and beautiful memories, what more can a Man ask for".  A day didn't go by that Dad wasn't telling a story about "when I was stationed" he so loved his time in the Navy!


thank you.

Linda Roinestad"



Back to Top of Page

 Henry J. Rosler

Henry J. Rosler, 1999

I was born in Alliance, OH, in October of 1918, and entered the United States Naval Service in July of 1940. I  was assigned the service number of 368-49-71, and went to  Bootcamp in San Diego. After bootcamp I was assigned to the the Cruiser Concord. We took the Concord to Mare Island, CA and rebuilt her interrior. Thereafter we did patrol and convoy protection duty in the Pacific. I was a Seaman First Class.

Struck for and received  assignment to Aviation Mechanics school in Jacksonville, FL. I graduated 8th. in my class on 6 December, 1941 - the day before Pearl Harbor was attacked.  From school I went to the JAX training command into VN-11B, then on to VN-11A at Cecil Field. From there to Lake City, FL for PV-1 training. Sometime in 1943 I was transferred to Norfolk for PB4Y-1 training. After PB4Y-1 training  I went next door to Oceana NAS for Aircrew training.

I became a Plane Captain under Patrol Plane Commander A.M. Ellingson. In due time our crew reported for duty at Port Lyautey,  French Morocco, where we did Patrol duty in the Mediterranean.

In 1944 we were ordered to San Diego then on to Kaneohe Bay where we traded our old PB4Y-1 for a brand new one (BuNo 38913). We then departed for duty on Tinian, Tacloban, Mindoro, and Palawan, P.I. for patrol of the Pacific. We were a crew until some time in 1945 when we were relieved on Palawan. The day after we were relieved, our aircraft, BuNo 38913, and its new crew disappeared while on patrol. From VPB-111 I went to Yorktown, VA and was assigned duty aboard the USS Tarawa.

I left the Navy in July of 1946 with the rating of ACMM-PA. As of this writing, (6/4/03) and to my knowledge,  Harvey Cain and I are the last surviving members of CAC 8, VPB-111. Harvey operated the tail guns on our PB4Y-1.

Married Bernice in 1953, a Chicago girl, and have a daughter, Ann Marie, who teaches school in Columbia, MO. Worked 14 years for United Airlines  as a line mechanic, then as an inspector, at Midway Airport in Chicago, Il. In 1960 I went to work for the FAA as an inspector in St. Louis, MO., and retired from there in 1985 after 25 years service.

Since retirement I have been active in church and charity works here in Hazelwood, MO.

Email from Anne Rosler-Kribbs of 06/19/2011:

"On Feburary 7th 2011 my father Henry Rosler passed away. He had been in declining health for some time due to his bone marrow no longer making blood. He was laid to rest in Sacred Heart Cemetery Florrissant MO with military honors. He was an active member of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta. His last years were spent enjoying church, 5 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild."


Obituary for Henry Rosler:
Rosler, Henry J. age 92, entered into eternal rest on Monday, Feb. 7, 2011. He was born in Alliance, OH, Oct. 25, 1918, son of John H. Rolser and Regina (Richter). Dear husband of the late Bernice Rosler. Beloved father of Anne Marie Rosler-Kribbs (Kirk Kribbs), loving grandfather of Charlie (Bret), Tiffany Mariesa, Marcus Henry, Belle Aurora, and Angel Rose; great grandfather of Khole, all of Columbia, MO. Special thank you to dear friends and care providers, Sandra and James Kimbrough. Thank you to Foy and Theresa Asberry for the good food, Deacon Chuck and Pat Davanzo for being god parents, and our Parrish Nurse Karen Connor. Mr. Rosler was a proud Navy Veteran in WWII. He worked in the Federal Aviation Agency, was assigned to Ozark Airlines in St. Louis. He was a member of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta Parrish. Services: Cemetery service by Rev. Tim Cook at 1:30 p.m. Wed., Feb. 9 at Sacred Heart Cemetery Chapel, 900 Graham Rd., Florissant. Memorials may be made to the St. Vincent DePaul Society.




Back to Top of Page

 'Red' George Ruch

1948, Twenty years old
~1949, First Goody Bars
1968, Last Shipover, NWEF, Kirtland AFB, NM
1973, The Real Estate Salesman

I graduated from Atlantic Highlands High School NJ in early June 1947 and was sworn into the US Navy on July 3rd., 1947 at 90 Church St. in NYC. That night we were bound for the NTC at Great Lakes on one of the crack New York Central trains headed for Chicago. The dining car supervisor was in the Navy during the war and he took pity on us with our 75 cent meal tickets and fed us like Kings.

Was in Boot Company 60/47 at Camp Downs until Sept 1947. Went on Boot leave and returned to Great Lakes, and transferred to the Receiving Station, Philadelphia. Orders posted for VF-10A. What kind of ship is that I ask? I wanted to be a Shipfitter on a Tin Can. Ended up at NAAS Charlestown RI in CAG 9 assigned to the USS Philippine Sea (CV47) with F8F-1 Bearcats. Made the USS Philippine Sea's first Med cruise. Subsequent organization of the CAG, I ended up in VF-93 and F8F-2's where I learned to safety wire. The cylinders were stretching from the hold down bolts and the pal nuts and had to be safety wired. Nice job for a young airman.

Made short cruises on the USS Leyte (CV32), USS Kearsarge (CV33) and the FDR (CVB42). After two years of dodging props on the flight deck and  almost getting killed once or twice, an opportunity came for transfer to VP-21 at Patuxent River, MD. And I jumped on it.

VP-21 still had the PB4Y2s and I ended up as a second wiper and was truly indoctrinated by the senior people by opening the bomb bay door while passing chow up the flight deck and turning the hydraulic pressure off in the blister turrets and dumping. You, thought you were falling out of the aircraft.

We finally received the P4M's and I was a crew member on the 22 hour endurance flight, flying between Norfolk and Baltimore. Still had an hour's worth of gas left. Went on the Port Lyautey deployment and the Londonderry ASW School in Ireland. We were the last squadron to use tents as quarters. Three years went fast, orders for shore duty, NAS Anacostia, DC, ended up on the VIP line, flying Cabinet members, SEC Nav, Sec Defense and Flag officers all over the country in the new R4D8Z, square tailed R4D with 1820 engines.

Two years of duty went faster, orders for that beautiful Atlantic Ocean paradise Lajes, Fasron 106 DET 1. 18 months felt like an eternity, orders for VR-6 at McGuire AFB in NJ. Worked in the nose docks and EBU. Qualified as a R6D (C1 18) flight engineer. Eventually all right crews transferred to VR-3 at McGuire. Many trips all over the world.

Orders to Navy Transport Training Unit at Tinker AFB, Oklahoma as a C118 flight and simulator instructor. That's where I learned I like the West, two years and back to McGuire and VR-3 for C130 transition.

Received my C130 training with the 76ATS at Charleston AFB, SC, all over the world with the Herky Bird and many WEST Pac trips to Viet Nam. Four years of good duty came to an end when the Navy was decomissioned from the Military Air lift command in June of 1967. Transferred to Naval Weapons Evaluation Facility, Kirkland AFB, Albuquerque, NM. Qualified on R5D (C54) BuNo 50955, a Berlin air lift bird. Some say it still had coal dust in the belly. A replacement came in R6D (C118) BuNo 131569. I made my first trip to Europe on this MC when I was at McGuire. We received it from VR-21.Orders came in for Keflavik, Agana, or Barking Sands. Time to throw the anchor out.

Retired in July of 1973 with 26 years as an ADRC(AC) and 10,000 hours pushing throttles. Married 48 years, two sons, daughter, 9 grand kids and one great grand child. Taking life easy, but have some serious health problems, so I sit on the West bank of the almost dry Rio Grande in Rio Rancho, NM… right next to Albuquerque hoping for more water so we can get the submarine races going again.

Red Ruch
27 October 2003


Back to Top of Page


 Robert (BOB) Rhoads

Born in Hamburg, PA. Joined the navy in November 1950, on a so called kiddie cruise. Was sworn in Nov 1 and went to Newport Rhode Island for Boot camp. Was shipped to P (Patuxent) river and VP-21 in Feb 1951. Boot camp was shortened a couple of weeks because of the Korean War. Served in VP-21 at P River until the squadron was transferred to Brunswick. Worked on the P4M ,which I thought was a great airplane, and then when we got the P2V-6, and the engine problems, and the strut leaks, I didn't think much of Lockheed airplanes.
Deployed to Port Layautey in Sept of 51 and then back to P River and deployed again to Malta in 53. Worked the whole time in the Hydraulic shop of the Metalsmith Division, with short trips to work in commisary and as barracks cleaner and mess cook. As an AN those duties fell to us young people. When the squadron was deployed again in june of 54, I and a bunch of short timers were left behind at Brunswick. I was discharged two months early in August 54, because of the need for the navy to downsize. I don't remember much about Brunswick except the great brunches they used to have on Sunday mornings, and the fact they used to serve lobsters on some evening meals.

When I went back home to Pa I Married a girl I went to school with all my life. Marian and I had our first little girl in Sept of 56 and in May of 57 I moved to Miami Fla. to attend Embry Riddle to get my A&P license. Nov of 58, I went to work with Delta Airlines as a Line Mechanic in Chicago, at Midway airport. I worked in Chicago till 62 when I transferred to Philadelphia and then transferred to Phoenix in 1970. I retired from Delta in Phoenix in 1990 after 31 yrs, at the age of 56 as a line leader.

I have three daughters that have rewarded me with a grandson and three grandaughters and one on the way.
Marian and I are in reasonable health and hope to stay that way for a while longer.

Robert (BOB) Rhoads
Phoenix Ariz.
Back to Top of Page

 George E. 'Bud' Rushe

Arrived in VP-21 in late June, 1951. Sent to Base Radio and was there until Squadron deployed to Port Lyeauty in September. Went overseas on Carrier USS Leyte and was assigned to HC-8 as 2nd Radio on arrival. Harold Ludlam ALC was 1st radio. Ens. Mahan Pilot. Got my crow in June 1952. Was assigned as 1st radio on HC-5. Lt Blair. Later returned to HC-8 as 1st radio. Refused extension for Malta deployment and was assigned  back to Base Radio. Discharged thru Anacostia in August 1953.

Went to work for US Steel in Naval Ordinance Plant in South Charleston W.Va. until they closed a year later. Left there and went to Gary IN. and worked for Youngstown Sheet & Tube. Completed Electrical Apprenticeship. Left there in 1961 to work for a new Steel Plant in Portage IN. Midwest Steel Co.a division of National Steel Corp. in 1961. Was promoted to Maintenance Supervisor in 1966. After

17 years, was hired by Kaiser Steel in Fontana CA, as a Maintenance Supervisor, and they closed after 4  years. Was hired by Mica Corp. of Culver City CA. Later bought out by Hecules Corp. of Wilmington Del. Was there for  7 years as Maintenance Supervisor, ending up as Superintendent of Maintenance. Hercules closed the plant in 1990. I stayed to complete the removal of equipment until 1991. Was hired by California Finished Metals in Rancho Cucamonga as Superintendent of Maintenance and was there for 7 years before I retired. Have been working off and on for a General Contractor since. Just keeping my hand in.

I also square dance and round dance. And I am presently the President of our Square Dance Club and newly appointed Assistant Director of Bachelor & Bachelorettes International Southern California District..

My wife of 48 years passed away in 1999. I have since met another lady and we are engaged. We are both planning to be at the May 2005 reunion.





Back to Top of Page


John F. Rosfeld

John F. Rosfeld, 82, of Huber Heights, passed away on November 19, 2013 at Dayton VA Hospice.  He was born on January 7, 1931 to Otto and Cordelia (Schneider) Rosfeld in Franklin County, IN. 

John worked as a Letter Carrier for United States Postal Service for over 30 years, served in the United States Navy, and was a lifetime member of the Knights of Columbus. 

He was preceded in death by his wife, Mary Lou Rosfeld, his parents, and four siblings.

John is survived by his three daughters, Ruth Harris, Jana Rosfeld, and Wanda Cline, two sons, John P. Rosfeld and Mark Rosfeld, a brother, Harold Rosfeld, grandchildren, Lee Harris, Steven Harris, Sydney Cline, and Jonathan Rosfeld. He is also survived by numerous family and friends.

Back to Top of Page

B.E. "Gene" Rogero

Theresa Rogero Ferlisi wrote;  “My dad, Gene Rogero, retired after 30 years in the Navy as a Lieutenant Commander.  He was extremely proud of his service to his country and shared many wonderful stories with his family about his years in the Navy.  He always looked forward to getting together with his fellow servicemen and their wives over the years and enjoyed catching up on everyone's news at the reunions.  His death on September 15, 2011 from a heart attack at 89 years of age was shocking to his family as he bowled twice a week with our mom, still cut the grass and maintained his home in Sanford, Florida, was a lead usher at his church, and seemed a vision of health.  We miss him, his wisdom and wonderful sense of humor every day.”

Back to Top of Page

Richard L. Rinestine

Richard L. “Dick” Rinestine, age 85, of Maumee, Ohio, formerly of Delta, passed away peacefully, Sunday evening, January 31, 2016, at Swanton Valley Health Care.  He was born August 3, 1930 in East Liverpool, Ohio to Victor and Agnes (Werner) Rinestine. He married Mary Rinestine on September 21,1951 in East Liverpool, Ohio.  Richard served in the US Navy.  Richard was very outgoing, he loved to read, tinker with cars, and listen to jazz and big band music.  He was a big watch collector; he also collected anything with lions. He is survived by his loving wife, Mary; children, Susan (Joe) Poddany, Rick (Betty) Rinestine, Nancy Jacobs, Janice (Jake) Lauer, and Steven Rinestine; 7 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren.  Richard was preceded in death by his parents and sister, Dorothy Call.

Memorial contributions may be made to Alzheimer’s Association or the Cherry Street Mission.


Back to Top of Page

Franklin D. Roberts

Franklin, 81, passed away peacefully at his home on September 23, 2016 after a valiant year-long battle against cancer. He was the youngest of 10 children born in Pike Co., KY. and grew up in the Ashland, KY area. He was a Naval Aviator for 5 years and flew the P2V airplane all over the world. He graduated from Purdue University with an Aeronautical Engineering degree and retired after a successful 33-year career at McDonnell Douglas. His interests included travel, golf, bridge, and spending time with his extended family. A lifelong Christian, he was a Sunday School teacher at First Baptist Church of Ellisville. Survivors include his beloved wife of 59 years, Virginia Irwin Roberts, and three children: Julie Dawn Bell (John), Kyle Irwin Roberts (Suzanne) and Mark Gregory Roberts (Barb); and 8 grandchildren. Services: Funeral service at First Baptist Church Ellisville, 137 Clarkson Road, Ellisville, Tuesday, 11:00 a.m. Interment Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Gideon's International, 437 Gabriel Dr., Kirkwood, MO 63122.

.Back to Top of Page

Clarence R. Rawls

Lewiston - Clarence R. (Reggie) Rawls (9) of Stevens St. died Sunday August 2nd at age 81at his home with his family by his side. One day shy of his 58th wedding anniversary. Born in Aulander N.C. May 9th, 1934 a son of the late Clarence & Ida Rawls he was a graduate of Aulander High School in the Class of 1952. Mr. Rawls was a member of the Lewiston Christian Fellowship Church and served Honorably in the United States Navy during 1955 to 1975 and flew P-2 Neptune Planes while stationed at Brunswick Naval Air Station. He served honorably in the United States Navy with deployments into Europe tracking Soviet submarines during the Cold War. Upon retirement he worked for General Electric in Rhode Island as a quality assurance inspector during construction of the Navy's Trident Class submarine's. Reggie was a devoted husband and a wonderful father. He loved to golf and could be seen practicing in the back yard from time to time. When with family he enjoyed miniature golf, cards and board games as well as barbecuing on a clear summer day. Lately he would go to the camp grounds to enjoy time with family and when at home he enjoyed sitting on his back deck watching the birds and squirrels. He loved family pets but especially Dakota. He left an indelible mark on each of us. His life taught us how to be responsible adults, work hard and love one another. It is a true honor to call him "Dad"! He is survived by his wife the former Patricia C. Marois of Lewiston whom he married August 3rd, 1957, 2 sons Thomas R. Rawls and his wife Mary of Cincinnati Ohio, Robert A. Rawls and his wife Virginia (Jen) of Lewiston, grandchildren, Anthony and Susan Fowler, Kera McKellick, Adam, Aaron, Nicole, Zachary, Hannah, and Jason Rawls great-grandchildren Danika Rawls and Aoibheann "Even" McKellick his sisters, Janet Rowe and Margaret Clark. He was also predeceased by his grandson Matthew Rawls and sister Carlene Maxim The family wishes to thank nursing and Dr staff of CMMC and Androscoggin Hospice. Online condolences and photo gallery atwww.thefortingroupauburn.com Visitation Fortin / Auburn Wednesday August 5th 6:00 to 8:00 pm.. A celebration of Mr. Rawls life will be celebrated Thursday August 6th at 11:00 am at the funeral home. Committal with Military Honors Gracelawn Memorial Park 980Turner Street, Auburn, Maine 04210. Donations may be made to Wounded Warrior Project P.O. Box 758517 Topeka, Kansas 66675. A service of The Fortin Group Plummer & Merrill Funeral Home Cremation and Monument Services 217 Turner Street, Auburn, Maine 042410 (207) 783-8545

.Back to Top of Page

Robert C. Rohr


Dec 31, 1937 – Aug 18, 2018  Robert (Bobby) Charles Rohr passed away on 18 August 2018 at Florida Hospital Flagler with his beloved wife Nita by his side. Bobby was born in Brooklyn, NY, to Anne and Charles “Rip” Rohr (Class of 1930) on December 31, 1937 in the middle of a raging snowstorm. His dad was happy that he was born in time to be a tax deduction, but he couldn’t find their car for 3 days!

Bobby loved the Naval Academy so much he did 5 years instead of 4 and graduated with the Super Class of 1960. As a Naval Aviator, his career took him from coast to coast with a 6-year layover in Hawaii split between VP squadrons and the Pacific Command 3rd Fleet. Along the way, he also earned 2 master’s degrees and began work on a Ph. D.

Retiring his wings after 5,100+ flight hours, he went on to work for beltway bandit contractors for the Department of Defense. His second love (after his wife) was shopping which turned into a rewarding Real Estate career in Palm Coast Florida. He was known as one of the hardest working realtors in the area and “honest to a fault” often putting in his own time and money to ensure fellow vets found the home of their dreams. Although in the last few years he had health issues, he was grateful for every day. When asked how he was, his reply was always “I’m vertical!”

He is survived by his loving wife, Nita; sister, Marilyn Bierylo; daughter, Corkey; grandchildren, Jennifer and Michael; numerous nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his daughter, Cindy.

In lieu of flowers, donations are requested to the Flagler Humane Society (https://flaglerhumanesociety.org/donate/, 1 Shelter Drive, Palm Coast, FL 32137) or to the Old Goats and Kids Who Care, a group supported by Bob and his classmates which help transitioning wounded warriors and Navy SEAL families working through the CHKIV Foundation. These donations will go towards an "Old Goats and Kids Who Care Barn" on the new C4 Ranch in which Bob and other Old Goats will be remembered. To donate online go to https://c4foundation.org/  or mail to CHKIV Foundation PO BOX 181679 Coronado, California 92118. Please be sure to note "For Old Goats and Kids Who Care in memory of Bobby Rohr".



Memories of Bob and Nita go all the way back to USNA days when he was a young officer at the Academy and busted Joe and me one day. Joe was throwing tickets out his window to me for a Dionne Warwick concert...Bob was an imposing figure and scared us both. No demerits, but a scolding.

A few years later we meet him again, LCDR at our 1st VP 17 party. Oh sh__ we thought. He is going to remember that day!?! Career over on day one! 

He did remember, but he laughed and gave us a hug and a warm welcome. He and Nita became dear friends and mentors to both of us in those early years when we all needed that kind of support.


RIP Bob and condolences to Nita. 



.Back to Top of Page

Harold Rich

 RICH, Harold (Gus), of Cookeville, died at Vanderbilt University Hospital in Nashville, on Saturday, Aug. 1, 2020, from complications involving a stroke. He was born 83 years ago in Fresno, California. Gus was the American Legion Post Commander in Cookeville for 11 years, and only recently resigned. He was an active person, contributing greatly to the operations of the plant nursery he, and his wife, Sheila, owned. He was a farmer at heart and was out tilling the ground for late vegetable plants just a week before his last illness. Gus was no stranger to tragedy, having lost both his wife and son years before meeting Sheila. With his marriage to Sheila, he found a large family ready to embrace him as father and grandfather. He and Sheila just celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary. Gus earned a B.A. in business from University of California Fresno before being commissioned as an officer in the U.S. Navy. During his career, he was a farmer, tilling the ground near Susanville, California. Later, he was a property appraiser and assisted Sheila in the operations of Jean Martin Homes for the deaf and blind in Sacramento. But it was his work as a missionary where his legacy will be most appreciated. He helped build schools and a hospital in Honduras, where he served helping the local people for four years. A “can-do” person, he purchased and loaded a box truck with tools and other helpful supplies and drove the Pan American Highway from Cookeville to Honduras. It was during this 12-day trip that a huge earthquake hit and made navigation on the highway nearly impossible. He never considered turning-around but found ways to continue a trip that would help many people. He is survived by his wife, Sheila; sons, Terrance, Michael and Russell; his daughter, Kathleen and their spouses; and 12 grandchildren, Sarah, Natalie, Yamilet, Remy, Catita, Jason, Anthony, Johnny, Sara Rita, Jacob, and Benjamin. He was a member of First Baptist Church in Cookeville for 18 years and taught Sunday school for several years. Memorials may be given to the American Legion where scholarships for books and tuition assistance have been established. His granddaughters, Natalie and Yamilet, were with him during his peaceful transition.

.Back to Top of Page