(J & K) Biographies

Island, Howard Clark

Jameson, Que S.

Jenning, Delno

Jones Roger Silas Jr. "Si"

Johnson, Donald K.

Johnson, Ian J.

Johnston, David E.

Junker, Fred

Katz, Larry ( WW l l VP-21)

Kapolka, George J.

Kearney, William A.

Kelly, William Daniel "Bill"

Keltner, Jerry M.

Kessens, Gerald R. "Jerry"

Kieper, Francis

Knightstep, Homer J.

Koch III, Harry S.

Konkolics, Joseph Edward

Kurant, Robert

Koch III,  Harry S.          

Harry S. Koch III, age 74, died March 6th, 2009 at East Jefferson General Hospital with his family by his side. He was a native of Ocean Point New Jersey and a long time resident of the Lakeview/Metairie area. Harry graduated from Lafayette College in 1956 with a degree in Economics. Harry served in the Navy Patrol Squadron 21 from 1958 to 1960 as a Naval Aviator. He went on to serve six years in the US Navy before becoming a commercial pilot for Delta Airlines.  He flew for 35 years before retiring. He was preceded in death by his parents, Marion and Harry S. Koch II. He is survived by his beloved wife of 46 years, Angela Koch, and his two children, Harry Koch IV and Kathleen Mary Koch. Harry was a long-time member of the Koon-Ass Golf Club, "The Taj", and the Shell Beach Literary Society. Harry was his happiest when he was fishing, golfing, gardening, reading and spending time with friends. A visitation will be held for family and friends at Tharp-Sontheimer-Tharp Funeral Home at 1600 N. Causeway Blvd., Metairie, LA from 2:00 PM until 4:00 PM, Saturday, March 14th with a gathering to follow at the family's home in order to celebrate his life. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to Habitat for Humanity, American Cancer Society, Vietnam Veterans Association, or the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. Guestbook can be signed at www.mem.com.




Jones, Roger Silas Jr.

Roger Silas Jones Jr. (Si), 66, died Sunday, July 20, 2008.He was born June 21, 1942, in Burlington, the son of Roger and Georgia Scott Jones.  He graduated from Lyndon Institute in 1960. He joined the Navy in 1962. Roger was a member of the Navy Patrol Squadron VP-21 from 1962 to 1966. After his discharge, he went to work for the H.A. Manosh, Corp., in Morrisville and worked there until his retirement.  He was involved in the Boy Scout Troop in Johnson, on the financial board of the Johnson Public Library and was also a member of the Waterman Masonic Lodge and the Johnson Historical Society. He is survived by his wife Linda, sons Mike and Chris, his father, three grandchildren and a great-granddaughter. He was predeceased by his mother.



 Kapolka, George
George J. Kapolka, 86, of Deltona, Fla., and formerly of Shelby Township, died Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2007, at his home.
> Mr. Kapolka retired in 1980 as a supervisor at General Motors after 20 years of employment as a pattern maker. He was a member of St. Ann's Catholic Church in DeBary, Fla. He served in the U.S. Navy's Patrol Bomber Squadron VPB-111 during World War II as a crew chief and top turret gunner on the B-24 Liberator. His crew was also part of the air forces during the D-Day invasion of Normandy, France on June 6, 1944.

He loved fishing, playing his harmonica and accordion. He also enjoyed lapidary, working with stained glass and had a deep love of nature and astronomy. Mr. Kapolka is survived by his wife of 62 years, Bernice M.; children, Frances M. (Roger) Robertson, Karen (Roy) Munzel, and Suzanne M. (Lawrence Jr.) Noe, all of Michigan; siblings, David V. Kapolka of Davenport, Iowa, and Betty Hamerlinck of Bettendorf, Iowa; grandchildren, John R. Robertson, Carolyn M. Robertson-White, Robert G. and Sheila R. Kroll, Lawrence J. III and Lorell S. Noe; and great-grandson, Tyrese T. White.


> was predeceased by his son, George M. Kapolka; parents, George A. and Mary A. (Rimay) Kapolka; twin brother, John N. Kapolka; and sister, Jean Behrensmeyer. A funeral service will be held at 3 p.m. Tuesday at Gramer Funeral Home, Diener Chapel, 48271 Van Dyke, Shelby Township. Burial of cremains will be in Utica Cemetery, Shelby Township. Visitation is 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday. In lieu of flowers, donations are suggested to Volusia/Flagler Hospice, 3800 Woodbriar Trail, Port Orange, FL 32919.



Francis Kieper

Francis Kieper, 89, of Chappaqua, NY, passed away on Saturday, July 28, 2007 at Rosary Hill Home in Hawthorne, NY from prostate cancer.

Born February 20, 1918 in Oswego, NY, he was graduated from Oswego State Teachers College in 1940 with a Bachelor of Science Degree. He moved to Chappaqua in 1940 to teach industrial arts at the Robert E. Bell School, was subsequently appointed to the guidance staff, and later became Assistant Vice Principal until his retirement in 1978. He earned 2 Master of Arts Degrees from New York University and had 33 graduate hours.

 He enlisted in the Navy for pilot flight training at the start of WWII and was called to duty in 1942. He served in England and Africa flying 4-engine B-24 Liberator Patrol Bombers on anti-sub warfare missions, then was re-assigned to VPB-111 the Pacific area flying 14 hour missions during 3 invasions in the Philippines. As Lieutenant, he flew 66 missions with the same crew until the end of the war in 1946. He earned the US Navy Wings of Gold, the Distinguished Flying Cross, and 6 Air Medals for action against the enemy. He continued his association with the Navy Reserves and in 1958 became Commanding Officer of the Squadron; in 1962 he became Captain, flying at NAS in Brooklyn, NY in Patrol Squadron VP 832. He was next appointed a Battalion Commander and 2 years later became Chief of Staff for the Air Wing overseeing 3000 people. He retired from the Navy in 1978.

In 1952, he founded the Greeley Swimming Pool Company which he managed for 17 years. He was an active member of The Camp Fire Club of America, holding the title of president for 2 terms, and served as head of the Camp Fire Conservation Fund. He was an avid hunter and conservationist, and also enjoyed fishing, boating, and golf. He is survived by his wife of 59 years, Margaret, his son, Scott of Simsbury, CT, his daughter, Lynn Bilecky of Pleasantville, NY, two grandchildren, three brothers: John, Dick, Tom, and a sister, Carol DiNova, all from the Albany, NY area. Visiting hours will be held at Cassidy-Flynn Funeral Home, 288 Main St., Mt. Kisco, on Friday from 2-4 and 7-9 pm. A Funeral Service will take place at The Camp Fire Club of America, 230 Campfire Road, Chappaqua on Saturday at 2:00 pm. In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to Rosary Hill Home, 600 Linda Avenue, Hawthorne, NY 10532 and The Camp Fire Conservation Fund, Inc., 230 Campfire Rd., Chappaqua, NY 10514.


 Katz, Larry ( WW l l VP-21)

November, 2002

I was from Brooklyn,N.Y and in the early 1940's I got a very low draft
number and at that time I did not want to be called up into the Army.
I was attending the RCA Institutes in New York learning radio C.W and
radio theory. At that time I was doing real good at copying code and was
so so in theory. After attending RCA for about 14 months I was in class
when some Lt.Commander came into our room telling us about the Navy
Reserves in Communication. I believe it was a V8 program. He told us
that if we signed up with the reserves we would not be available for the
draft and we would be with the Navy Communication Reserves. All we had
to do was attend a meeting once a month to learn Navy procedure in
communication. Sounded good to me , so I enlisted. By the way, the
Lt.Commander was David Sarnoff who later became President of RCA. This
was in October of 1940, I attended one meeting in Nov, of 1940 and said
to myself that I did not enjoy the one meeting. In Dec, of 1940, went
with my Grandmother and Mother to Lakewood and Lakehurst, New Jersey to
spend the month. Right after Christmas of 1940 got a phone call from one
of my uncles telling me that I had a letter from the Navy Communication
Reserves requesting me to come to the Brooklyn Navy Yard for a formal
Physicall and exam for a call up to active duty in January of 1941.Wow
what a shock. Anyway reported as requested, and was sworn in right there
on the spot, boarded an open truck in January, and headed up to
Noroton,Conn. for a five month course in Naval Communications.. While
there they needed 60 men to go to the west coast and 60 men to the east
coast for Qual Air. I loved avaition and so I asked to go to the West
Coast for avaition. I thought the West Coast was California, as I never
heard of anything west of California. I thought East Coast meant New York
and I had seen enough of New York.

When I got my orders for California, I did not know what that FFA or
FFT on the bottom of my orders meant. Make a long story short, I spent
four days in California before being herded onto the USS Wharton for further
transfer or for further assignment. Before I knew it I was on my way to Pearl Harbor. After 7 days of that
terrific journey on the pleasure ship USS. Wharton, I arrived in Pearl.
Was assigned to VP23 on Ford Island. Being that I got out of Noroton
Radio school with a 3.9 average and as a third class radioman doing
nearly 30wpm instead of going into the squadron, was assigned to the
Communication office under FW2. Tried for months to get into VP21 as
most of my buddies were in crews flying in Catalina PBY's3. However no go.

Then in November of 1941 was transfered to VP21, but still on Temp
duty with FW2. Was there until the day of the attack, on that day, or
should I say the Evening of Dec,6th. was in town with two of my
shipmates from VP21 and VP22. When the japs hit we were just getting out
of breakfast at the Black Cat Cafe, after sleeping in the locker club
next to the YMCA. The name of the locker club was called "Battleship Max
Cohens Locker Club". We commandeered a cab and flew back to the base.
During the attack we had just passed Hickam Field when we heard what was
like a typewritter hitting the keys rapidly, looked out of the rear
window in the cab as I was on the starboard side of the cab, and saw a
jap plane comming down the highway with tracer bulletts coming straight
at us, the plane slid to the right of our cab, saw that red meatball, it
had a broad red stripe running down the side of the fuselage with its
fixed landing gear and knew it was a Val. Right after that he banked to
the left and went right down Hickam strafing and doing his thing. Our
cab driver went into a ditch where the three of us ran out and ran to
the Navy Yard, could not get back to Ford Island so we ran to the
drydock where the Pennsylvania and the Cassin and Downes were in. We
worked with them until the Nevada started pulling down the Channel and
got hit and made it to the Beach.

Finally got over to Ford sometime late in the afternoon and went right on watch. In a few days after that
finally got my orders to report back to VP21 for Crew assignment, so it
took an attack on Pearl Harbor to get back to what I always wanted. Left
for Perth inMarch and was with VP21 until we became VP101, and finally
in October of 1944 after the invasion of the Philippines we became
VPB29. We were operating off the tenders in Moroti and finally got
relieved by a PBM Squadron and went home after nearly 4 years being

Anyway when I got out of the Navy in August of 1947,(I gave
up 7 years as I thought after all I had been through, and just getting
married on Dec,7th,1946) I got orders to go back to Guam with 6 months
to do after me spending four years on nearly every rock in the pacific.
I pleaded with the Exec to let me stay with my new bride in Corpus where
I was stationed at Rodd Field and then to MainSide in Corpus. I was
willing to sign up for six more years or as many as they would let me
reup, but they said no way. I told them that by time I got out to Guam,
I would be ready to come back to the States. But the higher ups said I
was the senior chief there and so I would have to go. It was then I
decided to get out when my six months were up. When I got back to the
states in July of 1947 and they realized that I was qualified in Radar,
and a real good radioman doing over 30 to fourty words P.M.and my wife
was a school teacher, they promised me that if I would reup they would
send me to any place open in the Pacific that we had taken over and had
a school where Lorene could teach. I told them to jam it. Anyway when I
got back to the states I took my wife to a jewelry store to buy her a
watch, when I entered the store in late August of 1947, I passed a
remark that I would like to work in a store like that.(I never had any
experience in retail as I had offers while in Guam with Philco,putting
down GCA gear there, also to go to Mexico City as a MUX operator) but I
had all the overseas duty I could take.)Anyway when I said I would like
to work in a Jewelry store like the one I bought my wifes watch, the
manager told me to come to work on a Tuesday as Monday was labor day
took them up on it and this is the occupation I am now in.

I stayed in Corpus Christi until October of 1950,when the manager of
Shaws Jewelers went to supervise a small chain store in Memphis,
Tennessee and asked me to go along with him and for me to take a store
of the chain over in Blytheville,Ark.This is what I did.

August of 1950 we had our first son born in Texas.Left for
Arkansas at the end of December of 1950, Wife followed soon after that
when she sold our home in Corpus. Worked for Dreifus Jewelers until
April of 1958 when I left them to open my own store. Between 1950 to
1956 we had our other son.Just a note, we have two boys now. My oldest
son is an attorney working for the FDIC our government, he is 52, and I
have retired from our store a few years ago and my youngest now has our
store, it is a family store in Blytheville, Ark. and we are now the
oldest jewelers here. I have one granddaughter 20 Years young. She will

be a junior at Charleston Southern in South Carolina.


Bill Kelly 5/23/40 - 9/29/04

 A tribute to the life of William Daniel Kelly "Bill" was held at
Auburn Oaks Funeral Home, 4030 Wible Road, Bakersfield, CA,
on October 9, 2004.

Bill was born in New York City to William and Margaret Kelly.
He was the second child and only son. Bill's education was
in the schools of NYC, "the streets of the city" as he often remarked.
He attended Brooklyn Poly Tech High School and credits them with
the basics of his education as well as his terrific work ethic.

Immediately upon graduation, Bill joined the Navy. He proudly served
three years in the Navy as well as three years in the Naval Reserves.
He was involved in the Lebanon Crisis and loved to relate his tour of
duty as a member of VP-21 in Iceland where he flew as a crewmember aboard a Navy
Neptune P2V-7 in search of Soviet submarines during the Cold War in 1960.

Survivors include his wife Mary of 45 years; his daughter, Debbie, and husband, Larry Hill;
and his youngest son, Daniel. He was preceded in death by his son, Bill. He also leaves two
grandaughters, Mellisa Walters and Lindsey Grumbling.

Bill and Mary moved to California in 1962. The family moved to Bakersfield in 1968. Bill
fullfilled his lifelong dream when in 1971, he opened his own business. Jonas Draperies
remained opened until his death. Bill's favorite pastimes were golfing and remodeling his home.

Bill's family requests in lieu of flowers, that donations be made in his name to either the

Salvation Army, Heart Association, or Alzheimers Research.


 Konkolics, Joseph Edward

Konkolics, Joseph Edward - March 4, 1923-Jan. 4, 2003 Joseph Edward
Konkolics, 79, of Poway died Jan. 4. He was born in Bethlehem, Pa., and was
a Chief Petty Officer.

Published in the San Diego Union-Tribune on 1/26/2003.



Kurant, Robert

Bob Kurant in his email of of January 6, 2012 wrote:

"Found this 44 year old photo of my crew from VP-21 Oct 1969. Crew # 35  

Front Row:  Lt. R.E. Slama,  Lcdr  W. T. Chase, Lcdr J.W Moore, Ltjg  Robt. Rhoads


Back Row: R. Kurant, Geo. Bailey, Ray wells, Joe (Tex) Girard, Erwin Heider, Dave Wolfe, Geo. Rehfield."



Que S. Jameson

Que S. Jameson, 91, of Jacksonville, Ore., passed away Monday, May 23, 2013 at his home in the Pioneer Village Cottages.


Que retired from U.S. National Bank. His positions ranged from being a trainee to Assistant Manager of the Ashland branch for 12 years, and then manager of the Jacksonville branch until he retired. He completed many American Institute of Banking courses over the years and Que was a board member of the Rogue Valley Chapter of the American Institute of Banking and past president of the Southern Oregon Bankers.


Que attended Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah and also attended Snow Junior College in Ephraim, Utah before entering the U.S. Navy and serving in WWII from November 1942 until November 1945 as an Aviation Machinist's Mate 2C. His primary role was Waist Gunner on a B-24/PB4Y, where he saw action in Africa and the South Pacific and was awarded many medals, including the Distinguished Flying Cross.


Que is survived by his devoted and loving wife, Maxine C. Jameson; two daughters, Lynne Karau and her husband, Bob Karau, and Judy Calhoun and her husband, Richard Calhoun. He is also survived by four grandchildren, Lori Karau, Kari Plas, Andrew Calhoun, Coray Dykes, and four great-grandchildren. He will be greatly missed by all of his family. He was a wonderful role model for his children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Que is also survived by his brother, Reece Jameson (Fern). Que was predeceased by Joe and Oneta Jameson, his parents; and Dale Jameson, his brother.


During his working years, Que was an active member of the Ashland and Jacksonville Kiwanis clubs, which he enjoyed very much, the Ashland Chamber of Commerce, Jacksonville Woodlands, and a lifetime member of the Ashland Elks Club. Once he was transferred to Jacksonville, Que was president of the Britt Festival Board in 1969 and a member of the Jacksonville Booster Club. Que and his wife, Maxine, were named Citizens of the Year in 1976. American Business Women named him Boss of the Year in 1971.


Que's first love was his wife, Maxine, who he married in 1943, and his two daughters, who were the pride and joy of his life. He loved to travel with his wife and friends to many places around the world. Cruising was especially enjoyable to him.


He loved living in Jacksonville where he enjoyed woodworking in his shop, fishing, and painting. He made many items that are enjoyed by family and friends, which are currently displayed in their homes.


Que's family wants to specifically thank the Signature caregivers who assisted him in his final days. They became like family. The Hospice staff and Pioneer Village staff were also appreciated.


Que was a wonderful husband, father, and grandfather to his family and we will cherish all the incredible moments. He was truly an honorable and great man, and will be greatly missed.


David E. Johnston

I grew up in Olean, New York and graduated from Olean High School in1962. 1 joined the Navy August of 1962, right after high school.  I went to boot camp at the Naval Training Center, Great Lakes, IL.  I then went to the Naval Air Technical Training Center, Memphis, TN in December 1962.  In March 1963 I went to the Receiving Station, Norfolk, VA to await orders. On 24 April 1963 I received orders to NAS Port Lyautey, Kenitra, Morocco, where I spent a year and a half.  I worked at the air terminal, where I loaded and fueled all different kinds of aircraft. While there I went from AA to AMS3. 1 left there October 1964


6 November 1964 I went to Patrol Squadron 21 at NAS Brunswick, ME.  I spent some time in the Sheet Metal Shop. I then started flying on the Commanders’’ aircraft as ASW Ordnance, and I kept the Commander Orrills’ aircraft painted and all pretty, and took care of all structural maintenance on the aircraft, LH-l.  I flew close to 2,000 hours of ASW missions, and this was the proudest time of my time in the Navy.  I really enjoyed the flying to all parts of the world, and the time with VP-21 is something I will never forget. The comradeship with my crew members and squadron mates is something you can't forget.  In 1967 I became AMS2 and left VP-21 for VR-2l at NAS Barbers Point, Hawaii.  I spent 3 years there on shore duty.


I was discharged in 1970, and went back to Olean, NY and worked for Market Basket for a year.  I got tired of low wages and decided to go back in the service.  I tried to go back in the navy, but I had been out over a year and they wanted to drop me 2 ranks, so I tried the Air Force, and they took me in as a Staff Sergeant,.E-5,and.I was stationed at Griffis AFB, NY, until December 1972.  I then went to 8CSGP PACAF, which was in Ubon, Thailand for a year working on F-4's and C-130's.  I went from there to Spain for a year.  I then went back to Griffis AFB, NY, where I worked on B-52's.  I worked out the sheet metal shop for the next 12 year's.  While their, I became a Master Sergeant, E-7. I retired as E-7 December 1984.


After retirement I went to work for NCOA selling insurance until I got a job with Empire Airlines.  I worked there for about a year.  I then got a job back at Griffis AFB as a civilian working model aircraft for Rome Laboratory on towers for testing.  I retired 7 years ago from government service.  I had 43 years total Government. Service.


I still live in upstate NY.  I was really enjoying retirement, until my wife Rita passed away this summer, June 28.  We had been married 48 years.


I want to get and see the museum at BNAS as soon as I feel better.  My time in VP-21 was a big part of my life.  I also donated a NATO Manual and other papers a couple of years ago.

Attached are some documents from my time with VP-21 in Acrobat .pdf format.



Ian J. Johnson

Ian J. Johnson, 87, of Sanderling Way, Middletown, RI, died on Tuesday, February 11, 2014 at Newport Hospital.

He was the husband of 63 years to Carolyn (Hall) Johnson.

Born in the Panama Canal Zone on February 3, 1927, he was the son of the late John E. and Mable (Jarvis) Johnson.

Captain Johnson was drafted into the US Army towards the end of WWII in 1945. He then went into the ROTC program at Cornell University earning a Bachelor degree in Political Science in 1950. He later went on to receive a Master’s Degree in International Relations from George Washington University. Later he was commissioned as an Ensign in the US Navy receiving flight training in Pensacola, FL becoming a Naval Aviator. He served during the Korean and Vietnam Wars. During his military career, he served as Commanding Officer of VP21Air Squadron, Brunswick, Maine; the USS Tallahatchie County in Naples Italy, and the USS Santa Barbara, Quonset Point, RI. He retired as a Captain after 26 years of dedicated service.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by six children, Duncan Eric Johnson of Annapolis, MD; Paula L. Candler and her husband Bob of Reno, NV; Karen L. Staton and her husband Jay of Sanford, FL; Douglas Ian Johnson of Burlington, VT; David B. Johnson of Middletown, RI; and Sandra C. Weldon and her husband Timothy of Columbus, OH; fifteen grandchildren; and thirteen great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by his son Donald Johnson.




Gerald R. Kessens

I retired from active duty after 31yrs 6 mons 18 days on March 31,1987 and placed on retired rolls April 1, 1987 as a CW04 (PHOTOGRAPER WARRANT OFFICER)



Donald K. Johnson

Donald Keith Johnson was born on July 12, 1918 and passed away on April 14, 2010 at the age of 91.  He served in the U.S, Navy during World War II, and the Korea Conflict, as an Aviation Electronic Technician.  Donald was buried in Sacramento Valley National Cemetery with full military honors.  He was an amateur radio licensee. Call Sign: W6AAQ  He was an inventor. "DK-3 Screwdriver Inventor”, a screwdriver type mobile antenna.

Letha (Barnett) Johnson, 92, of Esparto, CA, formerly of Elkville, passed away on Thursday, July 17, 2014 at Woodland, CA. Letha was a homemaker and had worked as a welder on ships during World War II in Washington State. She was born September 9, 1921 at De Soto, IL, the daughter of Julian and Stella (Shelton) Barnett. She married Donald Johnson in 1944 and he preceded her in death. She is survived by two sons - Gary Johnson of Livermore, CA and Donald Johnson and wife Pam of Woodland, CA



Delno Jenning

Delno “Ditto” C. Jennings, of Brookfield, Ohio, passed away on Friday, November 4, 2016, while a patient in the Select Specialty Hospital, Warren, Ohio, following a brief illness. He was 86.

Delno was born January 16, 1930 at home in Wheatland, Pennsylvania, a son to Frank L. & Sylvia J. (Stafford) Jennings.

Following his 1948 graduation at Farrell High School, he enlisted with the U.S. Navy to help protect our flag and to keep our country free. He was first assigned to serve at the Navy Training Center, Great Lakes, Illinois, and later to the Naval Air Station, Patuxent, Maryland, where he achieved the rank of Airman. An honorable discharge was issued on the 14th day of January, 1950.

After returning home, Ditto found employment with G.A.T.X., Masury, Ohio, where he worked as a Mechanic. In addition, he worked at Olsher Metals, Brookfield, and was a partner of Art & Del's Esso Station, Sharon, Pennsylvania.

His memberships include: the First Baptist Church, Sharon, American Legion, Sharon, and a former member of both the VFW, Farrell, and Loyal Order of Moose, Sharon.

In his spare time, he enjoyed polka dancing, spending time with his family, and being a father, grandfather and a great-grandfather.



Fred Junker


Guest Book
The Guest Book is expired.

Oct. 12, 1930 - Dec. 1, 2016

Fred went home to be with his Lord and Savior on December 1, 2016. He was 86. Fred was born to Karl and Myrtle Junker on October 12, 1930 in Eureka, South Dakota. He spent most of his life in Stockton. Fred served his country in the Navy for 20 years. He was a navigator and aircraft mechanic. He served in the Korean and Vietnam Wars.
Fred later worked for the Yellow Pages and then Tusco Casting where he had many friends and was loved by all. He was a devout Christian and member of Michigan Heights Baptist Church. Fred was an avid outdoorsman. He loved deer and elk hunting with the Junker family. He planned his camping trips months in advance and especially enjoyed the summer trips to PiPi Valley. Fred was an old school military, no nonsense man. He had a sense of humor like no other. His laugh was distinct and from the heart. Once you met him (or heard his laugh!) you could never forget him. He was truly special and loved. He will be greatly missed.
Fred was survived by his wife Jackie; sons, Rick (Nancy) Junker, Ron (Sandy) Junker; daughters, Cathy (John) Eldredge, Sherry (John) Liles, and Jeanne (Larry) Spinelli; brother Mike (Cheryl) Junker and sister Marilyn (Bernie) Daviner. He had 15 grand-children, 28 great grandchildren and 3 great-great grandchildren. Last but not least, his beloved fur baby, Susie. He was preceded in death by his father and mother, sister Virginia Sweigart, niece Renee Davis, grandsons Dylan Spinelli and Colin Liles.


William A. Kearney

Virginia Beach - William "Bill" Kearney, III, 79, passed away on May 26, 2017. He was born in Savannah, GA to the late William A. Kearney, Jr. and Elizabeth Martin. 

Bill served his country for 22 years in the U.S. Navy. He was a Master Gardener and a member of St. Nicholas Catholic Church. He was known for his love of his family and golf - not necessarily in that order. He will be greatly missed.

Left to cherish his memory are his wife of 55 years, Georgia Kearney; his children, Lisa Kearney (Matt Bernhardt), Michael Kearney (Bennie), Karen Scarbrow (Lee), and Catherine Heffner (Ron); siblings, James Martin and Iris Durrence; 7 grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren.



Howard Clark Island

Clark Island    Clark Island, 82, of Hob Sound, Florida passed away peacefully on September 17, 2015 at Amore Dementia Care in Stuart, Florida surrounded by his loving family. 

He is survived by his beloved wife, Joanne, his sons, David and his wife Tracy , Curt and his wife Erin, his daughter Lynn Shouse and her husband David; and his grandchildren , Kristen, Steven, Emily, Bobby, Matthew, Olivia, Jack and Phoebe. He was Uncle Clark to three nieces and a nephew.

Clark was born in Hartford, Connecticut . He attended Williston Academy and Meriden High School and he is a graduate of General Motors Institute (now known as Kettering University) with a mechanical engineering degree.
Lieutenant Island served in the US Navy as a Navigator on P2V's. Following his military service he worked as a sales representative in the ball bearing and stamped metal parts industries in Pennsylvania, Illinois, New York and ultimately Connecticut. 

Clark began a second career in selling long term care insurance that covered a span of 20 years and moved to Florida in 2001. 

Clark has served in the M.W. Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of the State of Connecticut for 50 years. Additionally, he served with the Acacia Lodge in Stuart Florida for the past 14 years and was active in the Republican Party. 

Without a doubt, Clark's deepest passion was singing. He participated over most of his lifetime in school choirs, church choirs, the Society of Barbershop Singing in America (via the Big Apple Chorus in NY) and more recently the Treasure Coast Community Singers in Stuart, Florida. 

Friends and family are invited to attend funeral services in celebration of Clark's life in Trumbull, Connecticut on October 3rd at 11 AM at Grace Episcopal Church, 5958 Main Street, Trumbull, Connecticut. Interment with Military Honors and Presentation of the Flag by the United States Navy Honor Guard will take place at the Walnut Grove Cemetery in Meriden, Connecticut at the convenience of the family.

A Memorial Service will be held on March 18, 2016 at North Stuart Baptist Church , 1950 NW Federal Highway in Stuart, Florida .

In lieu of flowers, contributions as a memorial may be made in Clark's memory to the Treasure Coast Community Singers Scholarship Fund for aspiring high school singers -- 631 SE Calmoso Drive, Port St. Lucie, Florida 34983 (772) 224-8807)

An Online Guestbook is available by visiting www.treasurecoastseawinds.com



Homer J. Knightstep

Homer Knightstep.jpegHomer J. Knightstep, age 82, of Tiffin, OH and formerly of Galion, died Friday, January 23, 2015.

Born September 8, 1932 in Leon, WV, he was the son of Charles and Lizzie (Peck) Knightstep. He was first married to Francis (Turner) Knightstep in1956 and then married Murial J. (Riddlebaugh) Knightstep on July 2, 1992 and she preceded him on November 14, 2007. 

Homer was a graduate of Point Pleasant High School in Point Pleasant, WV and served in the United States Navy during the Korean Conflict. He was a member of Galion Moose Lodge 303, VFW Post 4329 and American Legion Scarbrough Post 243 all of Galion. Homer retired in 1991 after a 36 year career as a machinist at the former Galion Dresser and enjoyed meeting friends at the Trackside bar in Galion. He golfed at Valley View Golf Course for over 50 years where he was a member of the Hole in One club having shot two holes in one and was Senior Golf Champion in the State of Ohio. Homer had a collection of over 200 hats and always enjoyed adding to it. 

He is survived by children Homer J. Jr. (Julie) Knightstep of Lebanon, Debbie (Dennis) Kopilec of Louisville, KY and Connie (Pat) Hayes of Tiffin; ten grandchildren; 11 great grandchildren; sister Ruby (Carl) Morrison of Dunbar, WV; brother Albert (Sharon) Knightstep of Columbus; sister-in-law Mary Knightstep of Columbus and numerous nieces and nephews.

He is also preceded by ten brothers and sisters.

The family will receive friends from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, January 29, 2015 at Snyder Funeral Home Richardson Davis Chapel, 218 South Market St., Galion, Ohio 44833 where services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday, January 30 with Pastor Joe Stafford officiating. Burial will follow at Crawford County Memory Gardens. 

Full military honors will be conducted by the United States Navy and Galion Crestline Veterans Military Funeral Detail.

Memorial contributions may be made to HomeCare Matters Hospice in care of the funeral home.

Snyder Funeral Home Richardson Davis Chapel in Galion is honored to serve the family of Homer Knightstep, and condolences may be made to them at www.SnyderFuneralHomes.com.


Jerry M. Keltner

Jerry Martin Keltner, 83, of Anacortes, passed peacefully into the arms of his Lord and Sav1or, Jesus Christ, at Island Hospital with hls loving family by his side. He was born in Kansas City,Kansas, the son of Estol and Emma (Hedrick) Keltner.


Jerry's relationship with Jesus was deep and private and it was demonstrated in the love he showed for his wife, children, grandchildren, and friends. Jerry grew up in Kansas City, Kansas and as a kid enjoyed sports of all kinds, especially football and baseball which he played in high school and college. He attended Emporia State Teachers College, where he met JoHannah Linebarger. Jerry received a Bachelor of Education in 1959 and soon after received his commission in the United Sates Navy and was stationed in Japan for a year and a half.


Jerry and JoHannah had planned to marry in Japan, but Jerry was accepted into flight school. The college sweethearts were married in March of 1961 in Emporia, Kansas and moved to Pensacola, Florida. In 1962 Jerry received his wings as a Naval Aviator. Duty stations Included: NAS Brunswick. Maine; flight instructor NAS Whiting Field, Florida and NAS Meridian, Mississippi; Sigonella, Sicily; Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; Iceland; Rota, Spain; Key West Florida; Heavy Attack 10, Oak Harbor, WA USS Independence O/A-65, JCRC Thailand unaccompanied for one year; NAS Whidbey Island, Oak Harbor, Washington. Being in the Navy brought Jerry great satisfaction and relationships he treasured.


In 1976, after release from active duty, Jerry joined the Naval Air Reserve where he achieved the rank of Captain and continued to build meaningful professional relationships and lasting friendships. When Jerry and JoHannah moved to Anacortes in 1976 he became a U.S. Postal Carrier and delivered mail in Anacortes for 13 years. Jerry joined the Anacortes Elks Club in 1978 and he and JoHannah enjoyed dancing the night away on occasion. While living in Anacortes, Jerry coached youth baseball, played a bit of golf, and made regular trips back to Kansas and to Hawaii where he fell in love with the "Aloha" way. One of Jerry's primary joys in life was spending time with his wife JoHannah, he greatly loved spending time in the home he and JoHannah created and they shared their home for numerous parties, events, and holidays. He welcomed his friends and his children and grandchildren's friends and it's likely that 1 0O's of people enjoyed Jerry and JoHannah's hospitality through the years. Jerry loved Jesus, his wife, his children, and grandchildren deeply.


Jerry was preceded in death by his parents and siblings: Charlene Keltner Boyer and Gene Keltner. He is survived by his wife of 59 years, JoHannah Keltner; children: Matthew Mills {Mishel) Keltner, all of Anacortes,; Lezlie Keltner (Rick Fox) of Bellingham; grandchildren: Mattie Raye Keltner (Kirkland), Ryan Mills Fox (Mill Creek), Levi Martin Keltner; Jesse James Keltner, Halsie JoHannah Keltner, Joey Grace Keltner (Anacortes).