(V & W) Biogaphies

Ufer, Alfred L.

Voeltz, Larry D.

Waldron, Robert S.

Walsh, Joseph W.

Watkins, Harold G.

Watts, Jasper B

Webb, Richard S.

Weber, William S.

White, James C.

Whitcomb, Winfield J.

Wiegand, Karl H.

Wiley, Eugene N."Gene"

Willey, Bruce T.

Wilson, Kenneth E.

Wilt, Melvin C.

Winn, Perry R.

Witten, John W.

Wolfe, Roy D.

Wolen, Robert L. "Bob"

Wolpert, Robert L.

 Gene Wiley
After AO School, 1951

Gene Wiley Family

Gene Wiley, 2003

Eugene (Gene) N. Wiley------VP-21 (12-11-51 to 3-11-55) Ordnance Division  Go to Gene Wiley's obituary

Born in rural South Georgia on 12-07-32 as fourth of five boys. Grew up on a farm and finished Sycamore High School in 1950. Wanted to go to college, but Korean War and draft were pursuing me. I enlisted in the Navy with a guarantee that I would be allowed to attend aviation prep school and a trade school (3-14-51). After boot camp in San Diego, I
attended aviation prep school and ordnance school at NATTC Jacksonville, Fl. Upon completion of these schools I was fortunate to be able to select VP-21 at Patuxent River as my assignment beginning 12-11-51. Joe Radcliff and Robert Hall were in the same class as I and they too came to VP-21.

Little was going on when I reported to the Squadron since they were overseas. I soon learned to avoid a 1st Class Boatswains Mate who had ideas contrary to mine. I spent a lot of time in the line shack learning to smoke luckies, drink coffee, play various card games such as  acey duecy, etc. When the squadron returned, I soon learned the ground crew duties and in June of 52 I was assigned to Crew 4 ( I loved it). Over the period, the pilots I flew with were Mason, Stone, Benton, Pezzi, Patch, Barthes, Hufstedler, Sommers, Falkenstien, Grimm, Gerber, Marsh and Saunders.
Some of the crew members I worked with included Braswell, Johnson,Goodie, Ernie, Sheehan, Sediva, Iacavone, Osborne, Hall, Whitcomb, Dutt, Walsh, Sullivan, Licamelli and others. Served a short month on Crew 2 in Feb. 53 and we did some FERRY  work in trading the P4M's for the P2V-6's and then back to Crew 4. For some
reason Crew 4 traded for HC-9 and became Crew 9 with Bill Saunders for awhile. (Learned to play Pinochle on flight over to Malta in 53).

Personal conflict with Ordnance Ground crew Chief led to loss of crew status for one month on Malta, but Cmdr Saunders saw that I got 1/2 set of skins and returned to Crew 9 the following month. I served two tours to Malta, (53 and 54). Became 1sr Ord. on Crew 8 in September 53 with Steve Sullivan as 2nd (Great Guy). Moved to Crew 10 when we got back to the States and finished my Crew status there until December 54 and worked on
ground crew until discharge in March 55.

Memorable events included the crash of HC-3 (5-3-54). Pilot-Bill Grimm, Co-pilot-Peterson, Plane Capt-H.E.Johnson, Radioman-J.A Iacavone and myself with two hitchhikers made an emergeny (Crashed) landing on a mountain
side near Fritztown, PA, Skeleton crew was returning from Quonset Pt. from taking a volley ball team up for competition. Joe Lazzaro's Crew was in the other plane but they returned without a hitch. Someone forgot to transfer fuel and we ran out of gas. The Pilot and Plane Capt. were disciplined, but Bill Grimm gained an acquital and retired as Captain in 1978. Understand this, THEY DID ONE HELLUVA JOB PUTTING THAT PLANE DOWN.

We had a little Revolutionary War on Malta in 53, as a result of some fine U.S. Sailors attempt to blow up the Brits next door with some of those maltese fireworks.

Upon Discharge (3-11-55), I got my Masters Degree from Ga.Sou. U., Married the sweetest girl in the world and taught school (teacher, coach, dept. head, administrator) for 26 years in Brantley County Ga. living in Hoboken, Ga. I then went to work with the State as Education Supervisor at a Large Prison in Waycross, GA. Retired from there in 96 and nowstay home to enjoy my Church, Wife, three children and their families (6 grandchildren). The Lord has blessed my life many ways.


Mr. Eugene (Gene) Nichols Wiley, 75, died Thursday (May 1, 2008) at his home after a long illness. He was a native of Sycamore, Georgia. He resided in Hoboken, Georgia for the past 51 years. He was the husband of Mary Lee (Dowling) Wiley. He was preceded in death by his parents, Dewey Ernest Wiley and Zena Wiley; his brothers, Wallace, Don, and Charles Wiley; and his father-in-law and mother-in-law, Elton and Ruby Dowling.
He loved the Lord and was a long time member of Hoboken Baptist Church where he served as a Sunday School teacher and Deacon.

He proudly served in the United States Navy as an Aviation Ordnanceman, Third Class,  in Patrol Squadron Twenty One (VP-21) from 1951 to 1955, receiving an honorable discharge in 1955.

He received degrees in education from Georgia Teachers College and Georgia Southern College. He served as a school teacher for 26 years at Hoboken and Brantley County High Schools. He was passionate about teaching young people and influencing their lives in a positive way. During his tenure at Hoboken High School, he enjoyed coaching the boys' varsity basketball team. After retiring from teaching, he supervised education programs at the Ware State Prison for 11 years.
A loving husband and father, he is survived by Mary Lee Wiley of Hoboken and three children, Nick Wiley of Tallahassee, FL, Kitty Cheatham of Waycross, Zena Tyler of Flowery Branch, GA; their spouses Evelyn Wiley, David Cheatham, Matt Tyler; and seven grandchildren, Nicki, Emma, and Erin Collins (and their father Tony Collins), Grayson and Zane Tyler, and Duncan and Brooks Wiley. He is also survived by his brother and sister-in-law, the Reverend Jim and Sandra Wiley of Rochelle. Other surviving brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law include Joann Price, Marguerite Wiley, Willene Wiley, Ray and Betty Dowling, Russell and Ruby Dowling, Stanley Dowling, Michael and Carole Dowling,
and Phillip and Elizabeth Dowling. His life was enriched by many loving nephews
nieces, cousins, friends, and students.

A funeral will be held 3 p.m. Sunday (May 4, 2008) at Hoboken Baptist Church. Burial will follow at the Greenlawn Cemetery. The family will receive friends at the Music Funeral Home in Waycross from 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday. Also friends are welcome to visit the family at the Wiley home in Hoboken at other times. The Ruth Sunday School Class is requested to meet at the Church Sunday at 2:40 p.m. to serve as honorary pallbearers.
In lieu of flowers, donations to the Hoboken Baptist Church Building Fund would be appreciated. Please mail donations to Hoboken Baptist Church, PO Box 247, Hoboken, GA 31542. Sympathy may be expressed by signing the online registry at www.musicfuneralhome.com.



 Dick Webb

Dick Webb, 1942

Dick, 2002

Dick Webb grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana where he finished high school at 16. He joined the Navy at age 17 in July of 1941, went to boot camp at Great Lakes NTC, Aviation Radio School in Jacksonville, FL, Radar School in Yellow Water, FL, and Gunnery School in Hollywood, FL.

Dick's first duty was in Torpedo Squadron Six aboard the USS Enterprise in February 1942 as a radio gunner in a TBD (Devastator). He was wounded at the battle of Midway in June 1942.

After hospitalization, Dick  transferred to Hutchinson, Kansas for training in PB4Y-1s (B-24s) and then joined VB-106 at Camp Kearney, California in February 1943. Dick then did a tour of duty in Tarawa, Guadalcanal, Munda, New Georgia, and the Admiralty Island. In June of 1944 he returned to the States as a Combat Air Crewman, Aviation Radioman Second Class. After a brief tour as a radio code instructor in Memphis, TN, and as a member of CASU Six in Alameda, CA, Dick transferred to Camp Kearney for training in PB4Y-2s.

Dick was assigned to the crew of LTJG W.E. Derryberry, PPC, as first radioman, and became a memeber of VPB-111 in March of 1945 at Tacloban, Leyte, in the Philippines as a replacement crew. VPB-111 was flying PB4Y-1s. He flew patrols in Indo-China, Borneo, Singapore in Malaya and the Celebes Islands. He remained on Palawa until the end of the war. In October 1945, Dick flew a PB4Y-2 back to Floyd Bennett Field in New York. Dick had achieved the rank of ARM First Class at this time. He remained with VPB-111 through the designation changes (VPB-111, VP-HL-11, and finally VP-21) and was discharged from the Navy in September 1948 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard with the rank of ARMC.

Dick then returned home to Indianapolis and entered Indiana University at Bloomington, graduating in 1953 as an Industrial Engineer. He then worked as a production manager and plant manager for United States Radium Co. in North Hollywood, CA, until December 1960. He was then recruited and hired by RCA in Indianapolis as manager of cost planning where he remained until retirement in 1984.

Dick Webb is a widower with one son, Rick. He was a Scout Master for 14 years and an advisor for Junior Achievement. He is a life member of the American Legion and VFW, and a member of the Masonic Lodge, Scottish Rite and the Shrine.

Dick has been a member of the VPB-111/ VP-21 Veterans Association since the Orlando reunion in 1987, and has been Treasurer since the Indianapolis reunion in 1989. Dick was responsible for the preparation of the Articles of Association for our organization and submitted them to the IRS in August of 1989 to obtain our "Not-for-Profit" tax status. Dick has also had the privelige of having been a former Chairman of the Board of Directors for the VPB-111/ VP-21 Veterans Association.


From the obituary for Dick Webb:


"Richard Stanton Webb, 93, died peacefully on July 14, 2017, in his home in The Villages, Florida, of lung cancer.

Born in Indianapolis, Indiana, on March 28, 1924, his greatest adventure in life, he often said, began in July of 1941 when he joined the Navy at the age of 17. He first saw action in WWII at the Battle of Midway in June of 1942. He was a radio operator/gunner in a torpedo bomber, a TBD Devastator. His plane was shot down along with most of the other 16 TBDs in Torpedo Squadron 6 from the USS Enterprise. After recovering from his injuries, he retrained to fly in a safer plane (his words) a PB4Y-1, the Navy’s version of a B24. He joined VPB-111 in March of 1945 and flew patrol missions throughout the South Pacific out of a base in the Philippines. When the war ended, his squadron continued to fly missions, not for enemy sightings but to gather data for weather forecasting. While on one of these weather flights, his PB4Y-2 was the first recorded aircraft to successfully fly through the eye of a tropical cyclone with winds over 74 mph (hurricane strength) and live to tell about it. He returned with VPB-111 to the States and served until his honorable discharge in 1948 as a Chief Aviation Radioman. 

He returned home and, on the GI Bill, attended Indiana University at the IU/PU Indianapolis campus. He went on to become an industrial engineer. He moved to Los Angeles, California in 1957 to take a job in a company that made luminous gauges for commercial and military aircraft. Two years later, he was lured back to Indianapolis by the Radio Corporation of America (he always said that it was ironic, a better job back home, and RCA didn’t know it was a homecoming for him). The day after he turned 60 and after 25 years of service, he retired in 1984 from RCA.

Outside of work and family he enjoyed automobile racing. For over 40 years, he was an auditor for the Indianapolis 500 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. He often said, “the race wasn’t official until he said so.” He officiated his last race in 1997 as the Chief Auditor of Timing and Scoring. His other pursuits included bowling, golf, and a long association with the Shriners and the American Legion where he served as the Commander of Post 465 in Indianapolis several times but for most year’s he was the Treasurer. 

Richard moved to the Villages in 1997 following the death of his fifth wife, Joann. Richard was married and divorced four times to: Frances (with whom he had a son), Patricia (twice), and Marilyn.


Richard enjoyed his 20+ years in the Villages for several reasons: the year-round golfing weather, plenty of new friends, and finally finding a loving significant other, Mary Quartararo. Mary’s extensive family, four daughters and a son, their children, grandchildren, and spouses provided Richard with a rich and full life. We should all be so blessed. 

He is survived by his son, Rick, of Sacramento, California, his sister Mary Ellen Bryant of Indianapolis, Indiana, and his significant other, Mary Quartararo of Ocala, Florida."





 Roy D. Wolfe

1948, NATTC Memphis
2002, Patricia & Roy
50th. Wedding Anniversary

Biography of Roy D. Wolfe  AL2,  VP-21  1949-1952

Roy was born 1930 in Fairmount, Illinois. Moved to Michigan in 1939 and grew up near Battle Creek. Graduated from Bellevue High School in 1947.

He joined the Navy in 1948 for three years as a Kiddie Kruiser. "Later on during Korea I would have been automattically extended for two more years, but I outfoxed them and re-enlisted in 1951 for six more years".

Roy attended Boot Camp at Great Lakes,  Air Fundamentals and ALA school at NATTC Memphis. On finishing school in 1949, Roy was given the choice of four VP Squadrons and  joined VP-21 in 1949, which was then at Patuxent River, MD. After some indoctrination into the squadron Roy was assigned to a flight crew as second radioman with John Carlson AL1 as First Radio. The squadron had PB4Y2's at that time.

From May 1949 until Jan 1950, VP-21 kept one plane and crew at NAS Boca Chica, Key West, FL., as a liaison for other VP squadrons who would come to Key West for ASW, working with the Sub Base there. "A plane was supposed to rotate every month but John Carlson and I never rotated, just changed crews during the entire time". Some of the pilots who also did not rotate were LCDR Phil Fisher, and Lieutenants Bogan and Wheeler.

On returning to Patuxent, Roy  remained on PB4Y2 aircrew until July 1950 when he was assigned to P4M1 aircrew on HC-4. HC-4 had Campbell: ADC, Plane Captain; Jim Frese: AL1, First Radio; George Fallon: AO1, First Ordnance. "I remained as Second Radio on HC-4 until June 1951. Our regular pilot was LCDR McNeal".

In July 1951 Roy became First Radio on HC-2. John (Tiny) Linendoll AD1 was PC, Red Ruch was Second Mechanic, Mark Baker AL3 was Second Radio, Smith AO1 was First Ordnance, and Gene Wolski, AO3, was  Second Ordnance.

In Sept 1951, VP-21 deployed to Port Lyautey, French Morocco. HC-2 pilot during the deployment was LCDR Miegs. "We had the privilege of sleeping four to a tent during our deployment. Guess you could say they were good tents because they had wooden floors".

In Nov. 1951 HC-2 was sent to Londonderry North Ireland for six weeks of ASW training with the British.

VP-21 returned to Pax River in January 1952. Roy departed the squadron in April 1952.

"I went home in April 1952 and married Patricia Felder and was transferred to Cory Field, Pensacola, FL. After one year was sent to AT B school in Memphis. Made AT1 and was transferred to CAG-10 Staff, NAS Cecil Field. Made one Med. Cruise as CAG Staff onboard the USS Coral Sea (CVA-43). Made a second Med. Cruise on the Coral Sea in VF-11 (Red Rippers)". Roy departed the Navy in March 1957 after nine years of honorable service.

"After leaving the Navy I worked for Bendix Aviation and Bendix Missile for nine years. Hired on with Control Data Corporation in 1966 doing maintenance on large computer mainframes at Lawrence Livermore Labs and the Sandia Corporation in Livermore CA. I was hired by the Amdahl Corporation in 1977 and moved to the Chicago area as Field Engineer, Hardware Specialist, and Technical Support Manager for the Midwest Region". Roy retired in 1992.

Roy has been married to Patricia for 51 years and have two daughters, both born in Naval Hospitals.

"My fondest memories are from the time that I spent in VP-21. I'm glad to renew acquaintances with some of my old (and I mean old) shipmates".

Roy Wolfe 17 July 2003


 Bob Wolen

Robert L. Wolen 77, Greenwood, IN, died December 27, 2005.
LT Bob Wolen was a Naval Aviator and member of the US Navy's  Patrol Squadron 21
(VP-21) from 1952 to 1955. Bob was also an active member of the
VP-21/ VPB-111 Veterans Association.

After 29 years as a research biochemist, he retired from Eli Lilly and Co. in 1991.
He immediately began his new career as a volunteer attorney for Indiana Legal
Services Elder Law division and for the Marion County Prosecutor's Office.

He also volunteered in many other capacities throughout his life. Memorial
services will be held at Crown Hill Funeral Home at 3:00 p.m. Friday,
December 30, with calling from 1 to 3 p.m. Memorial contributions may be
made to Wishard Hospital Foundation Palliative Care, 1001 West 10th St.
46202 or to Indiana Legal Services Elder Law, 151 N. Delaware 46204.

Robert is survived by his loving wife, Marion; two devoted daughters, Sonya and
Rosalind; two nieces, Juanita and Eileen; one nephew, Ralph, and their

respective families.



 White, James C.
James C. White, 84, retired Arco oil and gas accountant, died Thursday, 21 February 2008. James was a WWII Navy veteran who flew as a Radioman with the VPB-111 squadron.
Visitation 2-5 p.m. Sunday, Bixby Funeral Service, Bixby, and service 2 p.m.
Monday, Memorial Park Cemetery Chapel, Tulsa.



 Voeltz, Larry D.
Larry was a member of VP-21 from 6-29-1960 to 1963.
Larry is survived by his wife, Mary Voeltz of Niclollet, MN; sons and daughter-in-law, Alan Voeltz of St. Peter, MN Daniel Voeltz of Nicollet, Christopher and Kristine Voeltz of St. Peter; grandchildren, Aaron, MollyCallie, and Abby Voeltz all of St. Peter;sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Joan and Dennis Hurry of Mankato, MN;aunt, Shirley Enter of Nicollet;nieces;nephews;and cousins. Larry was preceeded in death by his parents; sister, Beverly Voeltz on 30 December, 1987; and a granddaughter.

Larry Donald Voeltz was born on 12 February, 1940 in Granby Twp., Nicolett County, MN, to Harold W. and Agnes I. (Enter) Voeltz. On 20 September 1958 he was united in marriage to Mary Louise Guth in Northwood, IA. Larry worked as a carpenter at Voeltz Construction forr nine years. He then was an overhead lineman and rep. for Xcel Energy (NSP) for 34 years.

Larry enjoyed woodworking, building his cabin, hunting, fishing, repairing cars, visiting friends, golfing and aviation. He was a Nicolett Volunteer Fireman for 33 years and was Chief for 16 of thos years. He served on the Nicollet City Council fo 16 years. He was a member of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in Nicollet and had been on the church building committee, a member of the Nicollet Lions Club, American Legion Post #510 in Nicollet, and the Sheriff Reserve. Larry had been a resident of the Pathstone Lutheran Home in Mankato since May of 2007.



Harold G. Watkins

Published in The Daily Local on November 9, 2010. Harold G. Watkins of West Chester Harold G.Watkins, 72, of West Chester, passed away peacefully at Schuylkill Center, Pottsville on Saturday morning. Born in Coaldale, on June 14, 1938, Harold was the son of the late Willard
and Esther (Groves) Watkins. He was a 1955 graduate of Girard College, Philadelphia and later went on to Penn State University where he received an associate degree in electronic engineering. Harold enjoyed spending his spare time sailing the Chesapeake Bay. He proudly served in the U.S. Navy from 1955 to 1959. Harold was employed as an electronics salesman for PSA Inc., Philadelphia. In addition to his parents, Harold was preceded in death by brothers: Wesley, Calvin, Donald, and William Watkins and sister, Thelma Herring. Harold is survived by a brother, Lester Watkins of S. Paris, Maine; niece, Jayne Devlin, and several nieces and nephews. Services will be private at the convenience of the family and are being handled by Lord-Bixler Funeral Home, Inc., Pottsville.



Melvin C. Wilt

Email from Pauline Wilt of December 28, 2010.  "While looking through your pictures today, I discovered pictures of my husband Melvin Wilt who was in the Navy during 1962-1966 & stationed in Brunswick, Maine.  I believe his rank was  AE3 (AC) VP21 Squadron. 

Sadly, Mel  passed away at home in Hampton, NH, on November 9, 2010 from a courageous battle with cancer at the young age of 69.
The pictures you have of the VP21-028 & VP21-029 are very young pictures of Mel, which happens to be year Mel & I married in 1966. 
I noticed you do not have a name attached to these pictures & I thought I would pass that information to you
If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Pauline Wilt"

Published in the Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth, NH, November 14, 2010
"HAMPTON — Melvin C. "Mel" Wilt, 69, died Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2010, at his home, after a courageous battle with cancer.

Born in 1941 in Fort Wayne, Ind., he was a 1959 graduate of Vermillion High School in Ohio and he served in the U.S. Navy as an air combat crew member with VP 21 at NAS Brunswick, Maine, until his discharge in 1966.

Mr. Wilt had a longtime career in the printing industry and was the owner of a Seacoast printing company for many years before retiring in 2008.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Pauline (Potvin) Wilt; a son, Steven Wilt of Dover; two daughters, Karen Wilt of Windsor, Vt., and Michelle Shaw, her husband Michael and three granddaughters, Meghan, Emily and Amanda, all of Pewaukee, Wisc.

Also surviving are his feline companions, Baxter, Bentley and Sophie.

WE REMEMBER: Mel loved the N.H. coastal waters, never tiring of its wondrous beauty. His great sense of humor, kindness and love of life will be missed by all who knew him. His accomplishments with architectural designs, gardening and home improvement endeavors were remarkable for being self-taught, and he was truly happiest pounding nails with his hammer or planting flowers and trees.

Private services were held at the convenience of the family. He will be buried at sea privately with his beloved canine soulmate, Sheeba, at a later date.

In lieu of flowers, donations in Mel's name may be made to the N.H. SPCA, P.O. Box 196, Stratham, NH 03885, or the American Parkinson Disease Assoc., Attn: National Young Onset Center, 135 Parkinson Ave., Staten Island, NY 10305.

Arrangements were by the Remick & Gendron Funeral-Crematory, Hampton. Please visit www.RemickGendron.com to sign the online guest book."



William S. Weber


From the obituary for Bill Weber
"William Seth Weber was born on December 16, 1930....in Kellogg, Iowa. He attended schools in Lost Nation, Sheffield and Searsboro, graduating in 1949. He then enlisted in the U.S Navy serving 5 years active duty and 1 year in the reserves, the majority of his active duty was with the VP-21 Patrol Squadron. William received his bachelor's degree from the University of Iowa, and a master's degree from the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri. He started his career in Social Services in the state of Iowa, after 4 years at the state level, William moved to the federal level working in Social Services for the Bureau of Indian Affairs. He worked on reservations in Montana, New Mexico, Arizona and North Dakota. He concluded his Bureau of Indian Affairs career as an acting area Social Worker in Billings Montana. William also spent several years working for Veterans Affairs in Knoxville, Iowa. He retired to Clarinda where he enjoyed volunteer work, American Legion Service and refining his cooking and baking skills for family, friends and his Bethesda church family.


William passed away October 12, 2012 under the compassionate care of the Madrid Home staff and community."



Robert L. Wopert

From the obituary for Robert Wopert.

Pascack Valley Community Life, New Jersey. Robert L. Wolpert of Harrington Park, passed away on Tuesday, Nov. 10, at
the age of 85.

"Robert was a veteran of the Navy and served as a Naval Aviator in World War II. In October of 1942, he was sworn into the Navy's V-5 flight program. After further training, he was assigned to VPB 111, flying PB-47 planes in the South Pacific, where he served until VJ Day. He returned home with 10 air medals, including a Distinguished Flying Cross.

In 1948, he met and married the love of his life, Virginia Graham. He graduated from Rutgers University with high honors in 1952. Almost of all of his working life was spent in the marketing profession. He was a gifted artist and enjoyed oil painting. One of his paintings was a still-life featuring a copy of the Bergen Record; it hung for several years in the paper's home office."



John W. Witten

LCDR John W. Witten, USN Ret., age 91 passed away Saturday, October 13, 2012. He was a native of Louisville, and retired after 30 years of active duty. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy on January 15, 1942 and retired March 1, 1972. He had served in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. He was a member of Watkins United Methodist Church, the Military Officers Association of America, Fleet Reserve Association, The Grand Lodge of Kentucky, Lodge #281 and Scottish Rite, He was also a Kentucky Colonel. He leaves to cherish his memory, his wife of 40 years Nell Williams Witten; his children, Barbara A. Carrico, Gay L. Witten, Charles S. Carrico and...

John was born on April 27, 1921 and passed away on Saturday, October 13, 2012.

John was a resident of Louisville, Kentucky at the time of his passing.

He enlisted in the U.S. Navy. He had served in World War II, Korea and Vietnam.



Perry R. Winn Jr.

CDR Perry R. Winn Jr. U.S.Navy (Ret).  I grew up North of Kansas City, MO Graduated from the University of Missouri in 1956.  I join the Navy June 6, 1952 at Naval Air Reserve, NAS, Olathe, KS.  I was stationed at VP-21 from 1957 to1959.  During my assignment to VP-21 some of my job in addition to flying included;  Classified Material Control Officer and Air Frames Division Officer

Memorable events during that period included; deployed to Malta during the Lebanese Crisis and then moved to Adana, Turkey, as Tactical Coordinator/Navigator on Crew 5, with Tim Healey as PPC.  And Crew 5’s attendance at the NATO Antisubmarine School in Londenderry, Northern Ireland

My career assignments were:

1952-1956 Ready Reserve, NAS Olathe, KS
1956 -AOC Pensacola

1957-1959 - VP- 21

1959-1961 - CINCUSNAVEUR - Communications Officer

(I married in 1961 while stationed in England)
1962-1964 - NAS Norfolk - Personnel Officer
1964 - 1965 - VP-56 - Admin Officer

1965- 1967 - NATC Patuxent River, MD (Project TRIM)
1968 - VAH21- Camh Rahn Bay, Vietnam

1969 -1971- Commanding Officer, NAVFAC Antigua, West Indies
1972 - 1973 - Commanding Officer, Recruiting District Cleveland, OH
1974 -1977 – CINCPACTFLT, Fleet Admin Officer

 Commanding Officer, Headquarters Support Activity
1977 - Retired September 1, 1977 with 25 years of service.


After retiring from the Navy, I worked in Kansas City for The Gas Service Company and Western Resources for 13 years and also as a Real Estate Salesman and Broker


My family includes my wife Pamela (married 52 years), 2 children and 5 grandchildren




Joseph W. Walsh

Joseph William Walsh Sr. of Hanover Township passed away Thursday, Jan. 30, 2014, in Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Plains Township.

He was born in Scranton, son of the late Michael and Sara Walsh.

He is survived by his wife, Loretta Walsh; daughter, Josephine and her husband, Steven Donovan; son, Joseph W. Jr. and his wife, Lisa Walsh; grandchildren, Stephanie and Matthew Donovan, Brianna and Kaitlyn Walsh; and sister, Eileen Fox, Naples, Fla.Mr. Walsh graduated from Scranton High School in 1950. After high school, Mr. Walsh enlisted in the United States Navy, where he served as an armament mechanic until 1958. During his service, he received a Good Conduct Medal and the National Defense Service Medal for his service with Patrol Squadron 21 in a Lockheed 2V Neptune naval patrol plane during theKorean War.Upon receiving his honorable discharge, he relocated to New Jersey, where he joined the Newark, N.J., Police Department. Mr. Walsh served the City of Newark for 25 years in many capacities until his retirement. Upon retiring, Mr. Walsh continued in public service as an employee of the state of New Jersey as a probation officer.Mr. Walsh was a member of the Knights of Columbus, American Legion and Newark PBA Local 3, where he served as delegate. Mr. Walsh remained active after retirement with the Morris County Health Department, where he frequently volunteered his time and services. Mr. Walsh was a member of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross Church in Hanover TownShip.


Winfield J. Whitcomb

Winfield John Whitcomb, 88, passed away Monday, September 13, 2010. Born June 14, 1922 in Tanta, Egypt to the late Norris and Ethel (Miller) Whitcomb, Mr. Whitcomb was a retired veteran of the U. S. Navy and served during WWII. He was preceded in death by a son, Robert Whitcomb and his loving wife AnnaLee Whitcomb. He is survived by a daughter, Barbara Rehel (Maurice); son, Richard Whitcomb (Debbie); daughter-in-law, Carol Whitcomb; 6 grandchildren, Heather Cox, Shannon Ledgerwood, Gregory, John, Jennifer and Michael Whitcomb; 5 great grandchildren; a niece, Joan Schaefer and special family friends, Wayne and Annie Oglesbee



Ufer, Alfred L

CDR Alfred L. Ufer, USN Ret., 92, of St. Simons Island, died Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at SGHS in Brunswick, Ga. Memorial Mass will be held 11AM Friday, May 30, 2014at St. William Catholic Church on St. Simons Island with Msgr. John Kenneally officiating. Inurnment will follow in St. William Columbarium with Military Honors. Born January 1, 1922, in New York City, New York to the late Daniel and Elizabeth B. Ufer. He grew up in New York City and Deal, NJ. He graduated from George Washington, H.S. and Villanova College. He retired after 28 years as a Naval Aviator with tours of duty as a Hurricane Hunter, Anti-submarine patrol, in Iceland on the NATO staff as well as tours in the Pentagon, at the Post Graduate School in Monterrey, Ca. He served during the time of WWII, and the Korean War. Al was very involved in community and military organizations as an active working member, serving on the boards of the Kiwanis Club of Brunswick, The Navy League, MOAA, The Boys and Girls Club, United Way, serving as President of them at least one time. He was also active on the Church Parish Council, and served as a Eucharistic Minister, Lector, Usher and other church organizations. He was predeceased by his parents, his sister, Lorraine Ufer Dooley, his first wife Betty Dowden Ufer – the mother of his daughter, and his second wife, Mary McCarthy Ufer and granddaughter Jacqueline Manion. He is survived by his loving wife of 30 years, Louise Lehman Henry Ufer, Daughter Barbara Ufer Pittman (Paul) of Raleigh, NC, stepchildren Denise Henry Borasky (Ed) of Chesapeake, Va., Therese Henry Raimondo of St. Simons Is. Ga., Richard J. Henry (Starr) of Auburn, Ca., Stephen L. Henry (Linda) of Yaphank, N.Y., 14 grandchildren, 10 great grandchildren, nephews Tom Dooley (Marge) and Edward Dooley (Dorothy), both of Middletown, N. J., niece Lorraine Dooley O'Shaunacy, (Barry) and several nieces and nephews. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to The Boys and Girls Club of Brunswick or the College of Coastal Georgia in Brunswick. Edo Miller and Sons Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. www.edomillerandsons.com




Karl H. Wiegand










WIEGAND - Karl H. December 21, 2016, age 84. Beloved husband of 56 years to Dolores "Duckie" (nee Duda) Wiegand; loving father of Paul (Connie), Mary Jane Wiegand and Cindy (Julius) Giambelluca; cherished grandfather of Christopher, Rachel (Brandon) and Jennifer (Frank); adored great-grandfather of Kaylee, Alex and Andrew; caring brother of Kurt (Beneva) Wiegand, Gary (C.J.) Martinelli, Nels (Jill) Wiegand, Neil (Tina) Wiegand, Michael (Debbie) Martinelli, Kathy (Ken) Pryzbyl and Susan Johnston and the late Eric Wiegand and Karen Gilman; also survived by nieces and nephews.



Robert S. "Bob" Waldron

“Bob” Waldron, AOCS, VP-21, ‘51-‘53 passed away on 29 August, 2008.   He served as an aviation ordnance man during WWII, Korea and Vietnam, retiring as a Sr. Chief after 24 years of service. He received many medals of commendation for his service in war zones and elsewhere.



Bruce T. Willey

Bruce Willey was born on April 25, 1935 to Bettie and Theodore Willey in Cleveland, Ohio. As a young man in high school, he participated in varsity and intramural sports, was a member of the student council, and achieved the rank of Eagle Scout. He attended the University of South Carolina on a Naval ROTC scholarship, majored in Mechanical Engineering, and was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. 

Following graduation, he was commissioned an Ensign in the U.S. Navy on June 7, 1957 and assigned to the Naval Aviation Training Command. He was designated a Naval Aviator and received his wings on Nov 13, 1957. Assigned to VP-21 flying the P2V-7 aircraft, Bruce became a qualified plane commander participating in numerous exercises including the quarantine of shipping to and from Cuba in October 1962. He was next assigned to the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey California and subsequently to Stanford University to complete the curricula for a Masters degree in Aeronautical Engineering. Upon graduation he reported to VP-9 at Moffett Field, California for training in the P-3 patrol aircraft. During his time there, he participated in several deployments to Adak, Alaska and Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam earning an Air Medal for his time and missions in combat operations in Vietnam. After returning stateside, he was assigned to the U.S. Naval Academy where he taught weapons and systems engineering classes as well as served as an instructor to the Academy's rifle marksmanship team. He was next assigned to VXE-6 at Quonset Pt., Rhode Island and later Pt. Mugu, California, flying C-130 aircraft equipped with skis for landing on the ice and snow in support of Operation Deep Freeze in Antarctica. Following 3 deployments to the "ice", he was assigned as the Executive Officer of the Naval Parachute Test Range in El Centro, California. During his tour, he flew several different types of aircraft supporting parachute testing and recovery operations in the California desert. His final assignment was at the Naval Air System Command in Crystal City, Virginia. He retired at the rank of Commander in January, 1980 after proudly serving nearly 23 years of service. His awards include the Air Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Unit Commendation, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for Korea and Cuba, Vietnam Service Medal with Bronze Star, National Defense Service Medal, and the Antarctic Service Medal.

After retiring from the U.S. Navy, Bruce continued to work as a civilian contractor with the Naval Air Systems Command at Crystal City, VA and NAS Patuxent River, MD, working on several electronic warfare and electronic self-protection programs until his permanent retirement in 1991.

In retirement, Bruce continued to remain active in the community, volunteering in the neighborhood watch program, as an AARP tax counselor assisting individuals in completing their tax returns, and working as an election official during local, state, and national elections. He was an avid golfer, active in the Burke Lake Seniors Golf Club, and enjoyed working on his award winning yard and tinkering with his award winning, movie star 1977 Datsun 280Z.

A proud and devoted "Granddad", he was an ever-present fan and booster of his grandkids sporting and school events, and as an original Washington Nationals supporter he instilled his enthusiasm into his family creating three generations of fans.

Bruce is survived by his high school sweetheart and wife of 56 years, Martie; sister Susan "Bunny" Shelton; sons, Dale and David; and daughter, Diane. He was a loving grandparent to six grandchildren and one great grandchild.

In lieu of flowers or gifts, the family requests that blood be donated to the American Red Cross Society. Those not able to give blood are encouraged to volunteer their time at a blood drive or make a contribution to Navy – Marine Corps Relief Society.

Burial with full military honors will be at Arlington National Cemetery at a time to be determined.



Jasper B. Watts

Jasper B. Watts Obituary

Jasper B. Watts, of Rockland, follower of Jesus Christ and a US Navy Pilot went home to be with the Lord at the age of 84 after a long illness. He is survived by his wife Marie Watts of 61 years, sons David L. Watts and Jody of Kapolei, Hawaii, Alan J. Watts and Annie of Big Pine Key, Fla, Daryl T. Watts and Paula of St Johnsbury, Vt; also 2 grandchildren, James C. Watts of Arlington, Vt. Amanda R. Watts of Manchester,Vt. and twin great-grandsons, Rowen and Hunter, also of Manchester, Vt. Jasper grew up in Little Falls, N.Y., son of Elnora and Philip Watts. He graduated from State University of New York at Oswego, and then went on to an illustrious career as a Naval aviator for 21 years, retiring as a LT. Commander.


He was a member of the South Shore Baptist Church for 46 years, serving as an Elder, Deacon, Sunday School Superintendent and Missions chairman. His missions work included primarily the building of 8 churches in Central America. He will be eternally missed by those who knew him and the family that loved him! Services held at South Shore Baptist Church, 578 Main Street (Route 228) Hingham, on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 10:30 a.m., followed by interment at High Street Cemetery in Hingham. Arrangements are under the care of Downing Cottage Funeral Chapel. In lieu of flowers, please donate to South Shore Baptist Church Missions CTME; 578 Main Street Hingham, Mass. 02043. For complete obituary and online condolences, please visit www.downingchapel.com.

Published in The Abington Mariner from June 19 to June 30, 2017


Kenneth E. Wilson

Kenneth Earl Wilson Obituary

Kenneth Earl Wilson passed away peacefully at Sequoia Springs on January 19, 2014 with his wife, Barbara Glass-Wilson, his daughter, Barbara Anderson, and his loving pet, Missy, by his side. He was born October 5, 1922 in Huntington Beach, California to Earl Hugh Wilson and Grady Louise West. He spent his youth in his hometown, and in December of 1942 Ken enlisted in the Navy and rose to the rank of Lieutenant during his service as a pilot in the Pacific theater of WWII. Following his honorary discharge, Ken attended USC and graduated with a degree in industrial relations in 1949. Following college, Ken took a job with Caltrans, starting in L.A., then to Eureka, San Francisco, San Luis Obispo and finally Sacramento. Each relocation came with a promotion. When he retired in 1980, he had risen to the position of Principle Senior Right of Way Agent. He loved the outdoors and spent many years camping and fishing with his buddies from San Luis Obispo. Never wanting to be idle for too long, though, Ken continued to work following his retirement. Ken gave his time to be a part of the Retired Public Employees association where he represented retired state, county and city employees. In 1992, Ken became the president of the association and worked tirelessly to pass vital legislation within the association, resulting in the improvement of guaranteed pension benefits for retired public employees. This was Ken's nature, to serve and to support, to give of himself fully and selflessly. Every moment of Ken's life was spent as empathetically, lovingly and earnestly. His kindness was not only reserved for his friends and family, it extended to strangers, too. He could never walk past someone in need without giving them something to ease their pain. His generosity always came without judgment, from the purest place of love and open-mindedness. Ken met his wife Barbara at a meeting of the CSEA/Golden One Credit Union Building Corporation Committee, where Ken was president. They were both devoted to service and politics and it wasn't long before Ken relocated to Fortuna, CA to be with Barbara. His love for her could be seen from across the room; it radiated in a way that made it impossible to miss. Ken loved to travel and he and Barbara spent most of their years together travelling with family and friends. Every photo album of their travels is a record of their love for each other and their love for shared experiences. Ken had a wonderful sense of humor and wit. His friends and family loved to hear his stories nearly as much as he loved to tell them. Two stories, in particular, were his favorites. The first story is about a squirrel. Ken was transferred from San Francisco to San Luis Obispo as a Senior Right of Way Agent. His new co-workers all went out to coffee each morning. It was their custom to shag quarters to determine who would pay. When Ken threw his quarter, it only made it halfway to the finish line. All of a sudden, a squirrel dashed out from the bushes to follow the quarter. The squirrel pushed the quarter passed the finish line. His new co-workers immediately accepted Ken and he claimed that no one messed with him after that. The second story was a bit more dramatic. Ken and an attorney from Caltrans were sent to L.A. to testify. The air conditioning in their motel did not work, so when Ken went to the attorney's room to prepare for the next day, they left the door ajar. Seeing the open door, two men with guns entered the room, ordered them to disrobe and then tied them together with bed sheets. While the armed men were robbing them, they told Ken and the attorney not to look at what they were doing. Ken couldn't resist and he turned to look at the man who was holding them at gunpoint. The man said, "I told you not to look." Ken's curiosity got the best of him and he turned to look at the man a second time. "Can't you follow simple directions? I told you not to look!" Once the men had left, Ken remarked that the robbers must have been pretty smart. In two minutes they had figured out that Ken couldn't follow directions, but it had taken his boss over 20 years. He also remarked that once the robbers had left, the attorney never stopped talking the entire time they were tied up together. Ken said, "You don't know what torture is until you've been tied up with an attorney." Ken was always able to take a heart-stopping and fearful situation and turn it into something hilarious. He refused to take anything too seriously. His laughter and smile will be especially missed. In those days right before his final moments, he thought not of his own pain, but of the pain of his wife and daughter. He soothed their fears by letting them know there was no need to worry, God had already welcomed him into the kingdom of heaven. That was the man Ken was: immeasurably considerate and magnanimous. He is survived by his brother, Ralph Wilson, his stepchildren Brad and Carmen Glass, Ron and Jackie Glass, April and Greg Sproule, his brother-in-law Bart Crews, sister-in-law Verna McKnight, several grandchildren and his favorite dog, Missy Glass-Wilson. Missy spent every possible moment of every day at Ken's side, nuzzling up against him in his hospital bed while they both napped. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Vera, in 1992 and his son, Richard, in 2011. Ken's family would like to thank Hospice of Humboldt and the staff at Sequoia Springs for the wonderful and loving care he received. Ken did not want his family to hold a memorial service; however, anyone wishing to make a contribution in Ken's name may do so by giving to the NRDC at P.O. Box 1830, Merrifield, VA 22116, or at the Food Bank at 307 W. 14th St., Eureka, CA 95501. Please sign the guestbook at www.times-standard.comand click on obituaries.

Published in Eureka Times-Standard from Mar. 5 to Mar. 9, 2014