Falkenstein, Rudolph F.

Fielder, William S. "Bill"

Fenker, David H.

Finley, Ralph A.

Fleming, Ray D.

Flor, Thomas

Folsom, RileyT. Capt

Franke, Marvin H.

Frese, James M

Frost, William LeRoy

Furneaux, Allen W


 Finley, Ralph A.

EAST LIVERPOOL - Ralph A. Finley of Eagle Drive died at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday May 20, 2008, at the East Liverpool City Hospital, where he had been a  patient since Tuesday. He was 85.  Having lived in East Liverpool most of his life, where he was born Feb. 16, 1923, a son of the late Ralph and Hannah Finley, he also resided in Scottsdale, Ariz., from 1985 to 2005.  A long-time member of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in East Liverpool he had belonged to St. Barnabas-on-the-Desert Episcopal Church when in Arizona.  A 1940 graduate of East Liverpool High School, he then attended Western  Reserve University where he was a member of the Lambda Chi Alpha social fraternity, prior to serving as a naval aviator in the South Pacific for the

U.S. Navy. His military career began with 18 months of training, which saw him commissioned an officer, eventually rising from the rank of ensign to that of lieutenant. He became the first pilot of a PB4Y-2 Privateer attack bomber, receiving the Distinguished Flying Cross, four air medals and a personal commendation ribbon.  A licensed commercial pilot with single-and multi-engine land and sea ratings, he was instrument-flight licensed. He was noted for having once looped the Chester Bridge in a sea plane following World War II.  Active in all phases of community life from radio announcing, parking enforcer, tour director, and his ability to gain entrance to any event, to being a counselor at the Pine Ridge YMCA Camp, Mr. Finley knew no strangers.  In addition, he organized the Better Business Bureau in East Liverpool and was a member of the East Liverpool Chamber of Commerce for many years. He was a former member and president of the East Liverpool Merchants Association and was a recipient of the East Liverpool Junior Chamber of Commerce Distinguished Service Award, in addition to holding a Life Membership in the organization in which he had served as president and treasurer. He had served for many years as a trustee or board member for several organizations including the Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Eastern Ohio, the USO  National Council, the Salvation Army Advisory Board in East Liverpool, and the East Liverpool City Hospital Association. He was chairman of the Columbiana County Veterans for Dwight D. Eisenhower in his election campaign for President of the United States, and a former president of East Liverpool

Rotary.He also was active in fund drives for East Liverpool Hospital Association, the Community Fund, (now the United Way) and the Red Cross.  Following World War II he became affiliated with The Smith & Phillips Co,, rising to secretary-treasurer before retiring from that position with the furniture company in 1969 with 23 years service. He was known for developing a friendly consumer credit system at the store, which served as a business model for years to come. In 1958, he became associated with Bayley Envelope, Inc. serving as secretary-treasurer from 1969 to 1979 and as president from 1979 to 1985.  A former president of the Tri-State Umpires Association, he served as president of that group for 22 years. He conducted countless baseball clinics and was actively involved in Tri-State Baseball as an umpire from youth baseball leagues to high school, American Legion and college. He had officiated some 4,000 baseball games.

His family includes his loving wife, at home, Wilma Hindley Finley. They were married June 16, 1944. There are two daughters, Jill Altoft and her husband, William, of Moon Township, Pa., and Diana Jarvis and her husband, Paul, of Bayfield, Colo.  There are five grandchildren: Kristen Dugan and her husband, Jeremy; Christopher Kirkham and his wife, Emily; Susan Rummer; Patrick Kirkham and his wife, Andrea; and Scott Kirkham and his wife, Amy.  Also surviving are five great-grandchildren: Gavin Kirkham, Madison Rummer, Oliver Kirkham, Ryan Dugan and Adia Kirkham.  In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by a sister, Suzanne F. Rugh, and two brothers, John Finley and William Finley.




William S. (Bill) Fielder

  Bill was born in Nashiville, TN. but joined the Navy at a young age so he would not ever see the backside of a mule again. Bill was a member of VP-21 from 1952 to 1953 as a YN1.  He retired from the Navy as a Senior Master Chief with 21+ years of service, and from Allstate Insurance Co. as an agent. He has resided in Pensacola for the past 43 years.

He was an avid golfer and bowler, and also loved to fish. Coaching Myrtle Grove youth football when we were boys was one of his favorite times. He left behind a loving wife of 54 years, Evelyn and two sons and a daughter in law, Bill Jr. and Carl E. and wife Judy Fielder, 5 granddaughters Shahara, Darby, Ambree, Stacy and Kelley as well as 4 greatgrandchildren.

Bill was preceded in death by his parents, George Stanley and Stella Fersugson Fielder and his brothers Carl and Ras, and sister Thelma. He is survived by sisters Francis Luckett and Wilma Ragsdale, both of Tennessee.  Services were conducted by Bishop Ben Marler, his long time friend and brother-in-law, at 11:00 Tuesday the 6th of April, 2004 at the funeral home, with interment following at Barrancus. Words cannot express how much we will miss him as he was always there for us.

Wm. S. Fielder Jr.



 Jack Frost

U.S. Naval Academy, 1951
South Pole, 1970

William LeRoy Frost, (Jack) was born in Stoneham, MA, the son of CHRELEC William Henry Frost, USN.  He received a Presidential appointment to the Naval Academy in 1947. Upon graduation he served on USS Bataan, (CVL 29) then received Flight Training in Pensacola, FL and Advanced Flight Training in Corpus Christi, TX. Designated Naval Aviator he received his wings in March 1953.

Subsequent assignments included tours with VP-23 in Brunswick, ME, flying P2V-5 aircraft, first as Second Pilot, later as Patrol Plane Commander with primary mission of ASW. Tour included naval exercises in Italy and French Morocco and deployment to Argentia NF After completion of a post graduate course in Aeronautical Engineering at the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA. Jack became Engineering Division  Director at the Bureau of Aeronautics General Representative, Eastern District, (BAGR-ED) in New York City, with proficiency flights out of Floyd Bennett Airfield.

He returned to Brunswick, ME for ASW duty with VP-21 as Planning Officer and with collateral duties as Cold Weather Officer. During this tour he shared Winter Survival Training in the Maine woods (Rangely) with VP-21 Veterans Association Webmaster, Frank Balogh Jr.. The squadron also deployed to Keflavik, Iceland, and Thule, Greenland, with TAD's to Labrador, Norway and Scotland, among others. Back at NAS Brunswick, MEwith Fleet Air Wing Three. Jack was Training Officer and member of Aviators Evaluation, Standardization, Instrument Flight Check and Improvement Boards.

This was followed by duty with Air Development Squadron One (VX-1) squadron in Key West, FL, and attendance for a course of instruction at the Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, VA. He then served as Anti - Submarine Warfare Officer with the Assistant Commander for Research and Technology, Naval Air Systems Command, in Arlington, VA, was assigned to Major Fleet Escort Study, ASW Assistant t to Warfare Branch Head, Advanced Systems Concept Division, Research and Technology. At the Center for Naval Analysis Ocean Surveillance Study, (letter of Appreciation from CNO.).  Jack was then assigned Commanding Officer, Antarctic Support Activities DETALPHA, McMurdo Station Winter-Over 1970, and later awarded the Antarctic Service Medal with Wintering Over clasp and disk. For his contribution to the U.S. scientific research as officer-in-charge and commander of Operation Deep Freeze, a cliff was named for him in Mary Byrd Land at the South Pole. Jack's last tour of duty was at the Center for Naval Analysis, Arlington, VA, as Operations/ Systems Analyst, Systems Evaluation Group, Study Director, ASW Sensors Study, Assistant Study Director, Future Submarine Forces Study, Study Director, Naval Air Technology Study.  During his career, Jack was qualified to fly SNJ, SNB-JRE, PBM-5, P4Y-2 aircraft and was Patrol Plane Commander of P2V5, P2V7, SP2H and P3A aircraft. He was one of the few pilots (at the time) to have flown over both North and South Poles.  After retirement from active duty in the Navy on 31 July 1973 Jack became a Program Director, with Operations Research Inc, a Consulting Company in Silver Spring, MD. He also did graduate work toward a Master of Engineering Information degree, George Washington University, Washington, DC.

Jack married Yolande Paquin in Montreal, PQ, Canada, upon graduation from the Naval Academy in 1951. They had nine children. There are now 23 grandchildren and 3 great-grands. Jack died in December 1981 following surgery for mitral valve replacement. He was buried with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetery.





Capt Riley T. Folsom

Riley Treadway Folsom died peacefully at home in Stanwood, Washington, on Sunday December 13, 2015. He was surrounded by the love of his family. Riley was born on September 12, 1924 in Pensacola, Florida, and was the only child of Lucile and Crawford Folsom. Theirs was a Navy family, moving frequently. Eventually, the family settled in Seattle where Riley graduated from Queen Anne High School in 1942. This is also where he met the love of his life, Eudora Isbell, and they were married in 1944. Their family grew rapidly, and Riley found himself the proud father of six daughters. Riley enlisted in the Navy shortly after his high school graduation and soon realized his childhood dream of becoming a Naval Aviator. He served in the Aleutians during WWII and was stationed all over the country during his twenty-seven year career, including tours at NAS Whidbey (VPB-131, VP-4).


After Riley retired from the Navy at the rank of Captain in 1969, he and Eudora returned to Washington State, where he began his second career. In 1970, he earned his Master's Degree in History from the University of Washington, and later began teaching at Skagit Valley College in Oak Harbor. He retired for the second time after thirteen years, and after snow birding for a time, he and Eudora moved full time to Phoenix, Arizona where Riley could indulge in his favorite pastime - golf. They returned to Washington State in 2004, to be near their daughters, residing in Snohomish County.


Riley was blessed with a large and loving family, and they will miss his sweet, funny, comforting presence in their lives. Riley is survived by Eudora, his loving wife of seventy-one years; daughters Kathleen Folsom, Carol (David) Brown, Deborah (Kelly) Koontz, Andrea (Ron) Gann, and Martha (Tim) Folsom; thirteen grandchildren, twenty-six great-grandchildren, and three great-great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, stepfather Tony Barker, and daughter Laura Lucile Folsom.




David H. Fenker

https://cache.legacy.net/legacy/images/Cobrands/KPCNews/Photos/1384990_web_11.22-Obits-Fenker-David_20151121.jpgDavid H. Fenker, 78, a resident of rural Churubusco in Noble County, passed away at 2 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 21, 2015, at the Presence Sacred Heart Home in Avilla. He had been in failing health for the past year and had been a patient there for the past two months.

Mr. Fenker was born in Fort Wayne on May 24, 1937, a son of Herman G. and Bernice (Miller) Fenker, and spent his formative years there. He graduated from Central Catholic High School in Fort Wayne in 1956 and as a young man served with the U.S. Navy.

On Nov. 29, 1969, he was married in Fort Wayne to Sherran K. Schuelein. The couple spent the early years of their marriage in Fort Wayne and had lived in Green Township in Noble County since 1976.
Employed at Dana Corporation in Fort Wayne for over 35 years, he retired from their quality control department in 1999.

He was a member of the Gilbert Davis American Legion Post No. 157 in Churubusco and Churubusco Veterans of Foreign Wars Turtle Post No. 3846. In his leisure time he enjoyed his small farm, watching WWE wrestling and the Indianapolis Colts, and was a fan of Notre Dame football.
Mrs. Fenker preceded him in death on March 3, 2003.  Surviving relatives include a daughter, Kris (Mark) Trabel of Auburn; two sons, Curt (Joey) Fenker of Albion and Andy Fenker of Churubusco; two sisters, Mary North and Fran Greene, both of Fort Wayne; and numerous nieces and nephews.
In addition to his parents and wife, he was preceded in death by a sister, Rita Myers, in 2001.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2015, at the Sheets & Childs Funeral Home in Churubusco, with Father Danney Pinto, pastor of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church at Ege, officiating. ….


Ray D. Fleming

Obituary:  Ray Dean Fleming passed away Sunday, July 29, 2018. We will gather for fellowship and remembrance from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at Lake Ridge Chapel and Memorial Designers. Family and friends will gather to celebrate his life of 79 years on Thursday, August 2, 2018, at 10 a.m. at Lake Ridge Chapel. A tribute of Ray’s life may be found at www.memorialdesigners.net, where you may leave memories and expressions of sympathy for his family.

Ray Dean Fleming was born on September 13, 1938, in Clovis, New Mexico, to Raymond Fleming and Marie Beall. The family lived in Melrose, New Mexico, then Orange, Texas, and later settled in Friona, Texas where he graduated high school in 1956. After high school, Ray Dean joined the Navy. He was stationed in Maine and the Mediterranean island of Malta. He served as a radio operator for a P3 Orion Sub Chaser. During this time, he also had the opportunity to travel to Greece, Italy, and Turkey.

After being honorably discharged from the Navy, he returned to Texas. While attending Texas Tech he met the love of his life, Jan Widener. They married on October 10, 1959 in Lockney, Texas. The couple lived in Friona where he joined his father in a very successful housing construction business. For several years, Ray Dean was the owner of the clothing store “The Hut” on Main Street in Friona. While in Friona, the couple had four children, Kipi, Karla, Reese and Loyd (known to the family as Patches). He was very involved in his children’s lives through coaching, attending their sporting events, and booster club. Ray Dean was a major contributor to his children’s love of football; particularly the Dallas Cowboys and many happy Thanksgivings were spent at Texas Stadium watching the game.

He had a very special place in his heart for his son-in-law, Milon. They were close friends. His two granddaughters-in-law were more than just relatives by marriage. He truly loved “his girls” Deidre and Morgan. They were as special to him as any blood-related granddaughters could have been and he was so blessed to have them in his life.

Later in his life, he enjoyed spending time with his grandchildren: Dallas, Sasha, Haylee, Jalayna, Trapper, Brooklyn, Raeley, Jaxon and Jacob. As with his own children, he enjoyed watching them participate in sporting activities. Later still, he enjoyed his great-grandchildren, Rowan, Kix, Riggs, Poppie, Gavin, Elijah, Keiran, Romy Beau, and Witten.

Ray Dean was a quiet, but very loving man. He enjoyed golf with his grandsons and son-in-law. He enjoyed old planes and anything to do with history. He liked watching football and occasionally golf tournaments on television. But more than anything, he loved his precious family and we are so grateful for each and every day we were given with him.

Survivors include his wife, Janis Fleming; two daughters, Kipi Lee Fleming, and Karla Dixon and husband, Milon; son, Loyd Widener and wife, Alison; five granddaughters, Haylee Swinford and husband, Alan; Jalayna Hooten and husband, Bobby; Brooklyn Ward; Sasha Medchill and husband, Brad; and Raeley Paige Fleming; four grandsons, Dallas Dixon and wife, Deidre; Trapper Dixon and wife, Morgan; Jaxson Ray Fleming, and Jacob Reese Fleming; seven great-grandsons, Rowan Dixon, Gavin and Kieran Swinford, Elijah Hooten, Riggs Dixon, Kix Hollingworth, and Witten Medchill; two great-granddaughters, Poppie Hollingworth, and Romy Beau Medchill; sister, LaVon Reeve and husband, Don Reeve.


Rudolph F. Falkenstein

Rudolph F. Falkenstein Obituary

Captain Rudolph F. Falkenstein, U.S. Navy (Ret), died on October 16, 2018 after a long illness, surrounded by his family. He was born in Shenandoah, PA on June 5, 1928. At age 14, Rudy entered Valley Forge Military Academy on a full musical scholarship and graduated in 1946, after which he entered the Navy in a special post-war Flight Midshipmen Program. After two years of study at Temple University he went on active duty for naval flight training at Pensacola, FL. In 1950 he was designated a Naval Aviator and commissioned as an Ensign. He then served in positions of increased responsibility, including completion of undergraduate work at Penn State University, and was promoted through the ranks to Captain in a total of 32- years of service. Also, he attended both the Naval War College and the Army War College, where he was also a faculty member and Senior Naval Representative to the Commandant. Captain Falkenstein was a longtime member of the former Allison United Methodist Church where he chaired every formal committee, was a church representative at annual conference in Central PA and taught an adult Sunday School Class for many years. He held long time memberships in St. John's Masonic Lodge #260 (32nd Degree), both the Association of the U.S. Navy and the Association of the U.S. Army, and the Military Officers Association of America. In addition, he was a 50+ year member of the Naval Institute. He was an avid golfer and being a plank owner in the Mon-Wed-Fri Golf Group at Carlisle Barracks enriched his life with lasting friendships that brought him much joy. He is survived by his wife of 44 years, Gwendolyn (Fenicle) Falkenstein; three sons: CDR Rudolph F. Falkenstein II, USN Ret (Nora) of California, MD, Dr. Gerald P. Falkenstein, LTC USA Ret (Vicki) of Beaver, PA, and Ronald J. Falkenstein (Carla) of Charlotsville, VA; a daughter, Judith A. Caldwell (John) of Elizabethtown, PA; eleven grandchildren, fourteen great-grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild; and one sister, Mae Philipps of New Holland, PA. He was preceded in death by a sister, Grace Campbell. A memorial service is planned for Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 11:00 a.m. at the Carlisle United Methodist Church on West Pomfret Street in Carlisle with the Rev. James VanZandt officiating. There will be a luncheon following the service. Burial will be at the convenience of the family. Memorial gifts may be made to the Masonic Homes in Elizabethtown, PA, attention the Children's Division; or the Shriner's Hospital for Children, P.O. Box 1510, Ranson, WV 25438-4510. Ewing Brothers Funeral Home, Carlisle is in charge of the arrangements. www.Since1853.comwww.pennlive.com/obits

Published on Pennlive.com and in The Patriot-News from Oct. 17 to Oct. 18, 2018



Marvin H. Franke

Marvin Harold Franke, age 89, of Sulphur Springs, went home to be with the Lord, on May 29, 2019 surrounded by his family

He was born on May 9, 1930 in Mauston, Wisconsin to the late Carl A. and Josephine Lehman Franke.  Marvin grew up on the family farm and upon reaching his majority, enlisted in the Navy, serving in the Air Wing Division aboard the USS Valley Forge during the Korean War.  A self educated man with deep wisdom and common sense, he served on school boards, taught HVAC at a High School and college and was very active in local, state and national politics. His favorite pastimes were reading the Bible, american history, deer hunting, playing the guitar or mandolin for family and friends, playing chess with his grandchildren, and spending time with the very few who knew they had a true and loyal friend.

Marvin is survived by his wife, Dalia; daughter, Cory Tarrants and husband, Terry; son, Karl Franke; siblings, Charles and Myra; step-children, many nieces, nephews, grandchildren and great grandchildren.


James M. Frese Sr.

 July 21, 1925 - June 22, 2010, Santa Clara, California.  James son, Mike said, “He passed away of complications from colon cancer and dementia, in hospice care in his own home. My mom followed him on November 5th the same year. One of the last coherent moments he had was watching videos of his tandem skydives (he had seven, two of which were with me as the tandem instructor, the last when he turned 82). He was a member of the US Parachute Association and the Parachutists Over Phorty Society (POPS). He was also a regular motorcycle rider from around the age of 60 to around 78, when he finally sold his Honda Gold Wing.”


He lead a very full life and will be missed.


Thomas Flor

Mass of Christian Burial will be held at Christ Our Light-South, Zimmerman, MN, for Thomas Flor on Wednesday, October 30, 2019, at 2 PM with a visitation one hour prior to the Mass. Family and friends are invited to a visitation at the church on Tuesday, October 29 from 4-7 PM. Burial will be in St. Pius Cemetery, Zimmerman, MN, with full military honors. 

Tom was born to the late Jacob and Agnes (Peltier) in Minneapolis, MN. He graduated from Marshall High School, Minneapolis, in 1960. Tom enlisted in the Naval Air Reserve and served his country with an honorable discharge in 1962. Tom married Janet Heltemes in Mayhew Lake on August 13, 1966. Tom owned his own business as a sheetrock taper for many years. Tom enjoyed NASCAR racing and old classic cars. 

Tom is survived by his wife, Janet; son, Chris (Kari) Flor of Zimmerman; daughters, Cami (Joe) Welter of Waconia and Cheri (Todd) Masshardt of Oregon City, OR; six grandchildren; and two step-grandchildren. 

Tom was preceded in death by his parents; and brother, Wes



Allan W. Furneaux

North Andover, Mass. - Allan W. Furneaux, 82, of North Andover passed away peacefully at Hannah Dustin on September 29, 2020. 

He was born in Lawrence on April 13, 1938 to the late Archibald and Florence (Wood) Furneaux. Allan was the cherished husband of Marie A. (Hickey) Furneaux and they shared 55 wonderful years of marriage. They raised their two daughters in North Andover. Al was a graduate of Lawrence High School class of 1955. He enjoyed attending many reunions with his former classmates. Al served in the U.S. Navy from 1956 to 1962. He was stationed in Malta, Puerto Rico and Brunswick, Maine. He was in the Lebanon Crisis.?He was very proud of his service to his country. He was an active member of the VFW Post 2104 North Andover. 

Al was an avid sports fan who loved the Patriots and coached youth hockey and Little League. He never missed a sporting event of his children or grandchildren. He also played softball on various social leagues well into his 50's and was a member of the Merrimack Valley Golf Club after his retirement from Lucent Technologies in 2000. ?He was employed by AVCO, Raytheon, DASA and finally Lucent Technologies for over 20 years. 
He is survived by his loving wife Marie (Hickey) Furneaux of North Andover, his daughters, Deborah Swenson of Bradford and Maureen Kane and husband Michael of Bradford.

Al was the "best" grampa to his three cherished grandchildren, Ryan, Brendon and Seana Kane all of Bradford. Al is also survived by his sister Betty Merrill of Exeter NH and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his sisters, Shirley Begg and Barbara Bonefant. 

Family and friends may call on Friday from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Conte Funeral Home, 17 Third Street, North Andover, MA 01845. A Funeral Mass will be celebrated on Saturday 10:30 am at St. Michael Church. Burial will follow in St. Mary's Immaculate Conception Cemetery.To leave on-line condolences, please visitwww.contefuneralhomes.com. Memorial contributions may be made to St. Michael Parish, 196 Main St., North Andover.